Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MXR M-188 Bass Auto Q or EMMA DiscumBOBulator

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by emjazz, Aug 20, 2005.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    What are the differences between these two pedals? I've read consistantly great things about the DiscumBOBulator but havn't seen a whole lot about the MXR. I heard someone play one in a store once and it sounded rediculous but I havn't had any experience with one myself. I'd like to get one of these pedals. Also, anyone compare the MXR M-188 to the guitar version with their bass?

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I own the MXR bass Auto Q and I think it is fantastic, I currently have 3 filters on my board (mainly cos I can) an old DOD fx25, MXR Bass Auto Q and an EBS Bass IQ. The MXR is my favourite, it seems to have a much wetter sound than the others.

I tried the Emma in store and me & toasted didn't think much of it at all, loses bottom end, doesn't do huge filter sweeps. I'd easily choose the MXR over it.

The MXR is quite a unique tone leaning more towards the Auto wah sound (since this is what it is), it's the same circuit as the Dunlop Bass Crybaby.

Feel free to ask more.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks so much for the response. I'm really glad to hear that my curiosity for the MXR was warrented. Does it work well in a live situation? I just want to make sure that it doesn't get buried. Did you also happen to try the guitar version? I have a feeling that it's more over the top than the bass version. I only ask because I saw a pic of Oteil Burbridge's pedals and he had the guitar version. Not sure if it's something that he uses often or not though.

4. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Nope not used the guitar version. I haven't used this live but in looping I always use this filter when doing filter leads, beauty of it is it's one of the only filters to have a volume control so you can boost your signal with it so you won't get buried.

It always cuts through no matter how many loops I have going.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Alright TaySte (or anyone else), have you tried the Pigtronix pedal? How does it compare to the MXR. I know the Pigtronix is also a phaser but just compare the envelope filter. How did you like the pedal all around? Thanks.

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Personally, I like the EMMA better than both the MXR and the Pig.. Different strokes I suppose.......

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Actually I have tried the pigtronix and I loved it, it's a wonderful filter, but I wasn't that impressed with the phaser and the power supply is a bit annoying especially when going on a board. The Pigtronix is one of the best filters I have tried but it was a little difficult to control and unlike the MXR it doesn't have a volume control which I find really useful.

You might want to consider the EBS Bass IQ as it has 3 modes and the Hi Q mode is very similar to the MXR Auto Q. The up mode is very good on it as well. PM me if you are interested in one, I've got sound samples and everything.

Cheers

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Out of al the pedals mentioned in this thread, I like the pig best, but its HUGE, and a pain to power. The best all rounder is the BassIQ. I like that filter alot.

9. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    PM sent.

10. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I've been considering the BassIQ for a few weeks now, but everytime I see the price my heart sinks a bit. >$200 for one pedal doesn't really seem worth it for me right now. I might just pull the trigger on the MXR Auto Wah instead.

11. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I've got both the pigtronix and EBS and agree with the comments made. I use a boss ls2 with them to manage the volume issues, the pig in particular has a huge amout of gain with more extreme settings. I've had numerous reliability issues with EBS pedals in general.