1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR M-80 Bass D.I. Help!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Matt Dead, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Matt Dead

Matt Dead

Jan 20, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    I bought my amazing MXR M-80 Bass D.I. back in February and I can't play without it. I finally had the opportunity to use it live last weekend for a gig and when I went to run an xlr cabel from the pedal into the PA, I was barely getting any sound at all! The volume on the pedal was at max, so I don't know if my pedal is a dud, or if I am doing something wrong, or once again the sound guy was clueless on how to run sound.

I had it set up like this.

Power was coming from a 9v power cable
    I had my imput going to my amp
    and the output was going straight to my bass
    Then I also had the XLR running out of the pedal.

Any help is appreciated!
    -Matt

2. I don't know if you had a typing error but in just in case you didn't. You connect the bass into the 'input' of the mxr bass di and the 'output' of the pedal to the amp using instrument cables. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the MXR Bass DI should work with phantom power from the XLR cable so no 9v is necessay. Even if you had both the phantom power and the 9v running, then pedal cuts out the electrical current from one. I don't know which one but it should.

3. Matt Dead

Matt Dead

Jan 20, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Yeah thats what I ment haha, i got it backwards.
    But even if I am running it like this, why was the sound guy only getting a very quiet volume from my pedal?
    They had to end up mic'ing me.

4. That's weird as you shouldn't have a problem. Do you know if the sound man was running phantom power to the pedal?

5. Matt Dead

Matt Dead

Jan 20, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    I have no clue, would he have to?

6. He would if you didn't have pedal on a power source but you did. Your pedal might be a dud. Contact MXR and see what they say. I had a problem with one of my way huge pedals and dunlop replaced my pedal even when I had bought it second handedly. Hopefully MXR has the same awesome customer service that dunlop has. I can't help you more but wait until some more people chime in. Good luck.

7. Matt Dead

Matt Dead

Jan 20, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Dunlop is MXR btw haha.

8. There goes to show my ignorance :D
    Call them tomorrow asap!

9. Matt Dead

Matt Dead

Jan 20, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    I will definately!

10. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    post up the results. i'm curious to hear what the problem was

11. bass nitro

bass nitro

Feb 21, 2011
    BG,SZ
    I have similar problems,one day started use phantom and...nothing - sound was weak.I decided that battery is dead so i did take it out.Same weak sound.I put the battery back in and try again but was same.The button switching between phantom and battery was in phantom-position. I replaced old battery with brand new one and and everything was ok.Then took the battery out and try only with phantom-weak sound again.Obviously or there is something wrong with mine or phantom-voltage was f...ed.If someone else has or had same problems and got some info what might be let share it.

12. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    Could have been a bad XLR cable?

13. bass nitro

bass nitro

Feb 21, 2011
    BG,SZ
    o yeah.it is possible.thanks

14. hehe,welcome to my nightmare-
    the first m80 I bought was incredibly LOUD,bet get this,only through XLR-I mean,I needed the volume knob to be set around 1 o'clock,just so i can get a decent gain in my amp-but my sound technician kept screamin' to turn the damn gain down, 'cause i'm clipping in the PA(ta-na-na-na-nana the twilight zone theme),even though i had very,very nice sound in the amp.no clippin' whatsoever.
    then,it got fried on a gig
    next one i bought-totally vice versa.....around 12 o'clock(volume knob) it goes a bit into clipping(in the amp),but my sound tech. cries out for more volume.....***

still loving this pedal btw...always on for me

15. bass nitro

bass nitro

Feb 21, 2011
    BG,SZ
    L.O.L.