1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR M-80 Bass DI+ CONTOUR FOOTSWITCH!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slombovia, Apr 3, 2006.

1. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    MXR M-80 Bass D.I. + DUAL CLEAN CHANNELS!

I bought this recently knowing I could return it if it did not work out. But I needed a DI that day. I did not want distortion but still thought it might be a good DI/EQ for my passive basses that already sound great.

I kept trying to use the non-distortion channel for slap with the contour engaged which boosts highs and lows. But I never quite got the finger sound out of the distortion channel.

Then I realized the contour was ALWAYS on in the distortion channel so I turned the disto all the way off and bingo I had my SLAP sound on the disto channel without distortion because the contour is on there boosting the lows and highs automatically!

Then on the clean channel I DISABLE the contour and get the articulate finger sound without the overbearing lows and highs. It's perfect. I set the EQ just so and simply foot switch from clean channel no-contour for fingerstyle and CLEAN 'disabled disto' channel with built-in contour for slap.

Some guys have wished for a foot switch for the well-voiced contour switch. This is how you do it. And it is the best sounding solid state preamp I have used. (My Read Custom Bass Purity tube pre still has top tone honors but costs and weighs ten times as much too!

Home run, MXR!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, that's one of the nice tricks you can do with the M-80. When I had one, I always used the second channel with zero distortion.

3. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Hmm... Very interesting. BP review was pretty good as well. David, why did you get rid of yours?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, I used to use a floor stompbox moer when I was playing at a lot of venues with house rigs - I'd keep the house amp flat and set my default sound using the stompbox eq.
    These days, I'm always using my own rig so I had less need for a stompbox preamp/di pedal.

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    But somebody else is greatly enjoying it currently :D

6. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Awesome. I am thinking of giong bass - stompbox - power amp - cab, so that is just what I was hoping to hear.

How do I get David's name and stuff to appear in my quote? Do I have to type that in?

7. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    ...because of hiss.