1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR M-80 versus a few Boss pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JanusZarate, Mar 26, 2006.

1. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I've got an odd little group of questions here.

Question #1: is the M-80's onboard equalizer (3-band, I think) good enough to replace the 7-band EQ on the Boss GEB-7 pedal? Bear in mind, I still use my amp EQ for some additional tone shaping as well.

My second question deals with compression. Right now, I've got a Boss CS-3 for compression. I'm only using it for mild compression and a little extra punch, and it works nicely.

Question #2: Can the M-80 do just as great of a job as a CS-3 being used on milder settings?

Question #3: I've also got an NS-2 noise suppressor. The M-80 reportedly has an adjustable noise gate too. Can it replace the NS-2?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I haven't been able to test or listen to an M-80 in action. I also don't have too much room on my pedalboard, so if this one particular D.I. can do these things - and do them well - it might be worth a little buying and selling...

EDIT: I'm not expecting that the M-80 is the perfect all-in-one, but if it can replace a few of those pedals I've mentioned, let me know which ones you think should go, and why!

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    If you can buy an M-80 without selling your other pedals, go for it. You would be able to A/B them for yourself and then make a descision. I doubt that the MXR would replace three dedicated pedals, but you never know. If the MXR does what you need when you get it, sell the pedals you wont need anymore and recover some of the cost of the MXR. Good luck.

3. The way to try this out I spose, would be to find a website/store that offers a 30 day returns policy then you could try it up against the pedals and see if ya like it or not.
    I guess you have the other pedals to test it against?

4. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I did exactly what you are thinking about. I use the M-80 by itself now and love it. I had a few pedals but felt that I was using them for my benifit only. Now I have far less setting up time with just the M-80, and less gear to travel with :hyper:

5. Answer #1: the MXR EQ is good but it is only 3 bands (trebble -mid- high). So less flexible as the GEB-7. The MXR has a preset, the so called: 'colour-button'. In my case, this preset is always on (it gives a nice smooth, warm tone). To conclude: I own both pedals, the MXR colour-preset is my basic tone. I use the GEB-7 to 'clean up' other pedals.
    Answer #2: The MXR is not a compressor. For compression I use the CS-3.
    Answer #3: The MXR adjustable noise gate works only for the distortion of the MXR, it is not a separate noise gate.

My conclusion: I think the M80 is a great pedal to own, but it does not replace any of the pedals you mention.

Tip: the manual of the MXR M80 is downloadable as PDF from the jimdunlop-site.

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I've ordered a used M-80, and I'll probably just be taking the Boss EQ off the board depending on how the M-80 does.

CS-3 stays, and the NS-2 is a good enough noise gate and mute pedal to keep its place!