Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MXR M-80 vs. Sansamp bass di, who is better?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ErikKrueger, Sep 13, 2003.

1. yeah, i have read reviews of both di's. i am looking for something i can use as a preampo until my bass head gets fixed. i owuld like this preamp to b able to by utilized as a di and distortion pedal when i no longer need it as a preamp. so yeah, which one is better? to give you an idea of the sound of music i play, i am in a hardcore/metal band similar tonorma jean or everytime i die (if any of yuo folks know those bands ;) ) but yeah, if you do know the bands, i am looking for a distortion like that.

i am kind of leaning towards the mxr right now, because you can footswitch the distortion and still have the preamp there, unlike the sansamp, which you have to bypass the lot. so yeah, than you for your help.

erik

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Based on what you're looking to do, I'd recommend the MXR over the Sansamp.

As you say, the MXR has the switchable channel, plus I'd say it's distortion is more suited to the music you're playing than the Sansamp, which has more of an overdrive.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I vote yes on this. I have both and, for your needs, the M-80 will do the trick.

4. thanks a lot for your input.

david or munji, can you guys explain how the distortion of the m-80 differs from the sansamp. if the sound is comparable to a boss odb-3, could you compare it to that? i dont like to sound of the odb-3, it sounds to "fake" to me, know what i mean?

erik

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I can't compare to the Boss, because I've never used an ODB-3. The SABDDI is like tube overdrive, subtle to moderate. The M-80 has a much more radical effect on the tone. It goes beyond the SABDDI, all the way out to total fuzz bass. On either unit, you can set the blend to have mostly your clean tone with a little of the effected sound on top, or you can turn the blend all the way up so the whole output is disto.

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    like Munji said, M80 is more of a distortion and BDDI is more of an overdrive. You can blend clean/dirty signals on both, except with the BDDI it's either all on or all off as opposed to the more versatile two channel M80.

I'd say the M80 is closer to the ODB3 than the Sansamp is for the distortion sound, and that the M80 distortion is probably more suited to the music you're playing. Personally, I don't use the M80 distortion, I have a Fulltone Bassdrive for Overdrive/Distortion which is the best one for bass I've tried (and I've tried just about every one there is).
    I use an M80 live for eq, and I use the second channel with no distortion blended in. With this, you get a slap friendly eq scoop so I can go back and forth between finger/slap eq settings by engaging/disengaging the second channel.

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've tried both and for what I'm playing - jazz, soul, funk, etc - found the SABDDI much more to my tastes. However, from the sound of it, the M-80 might be a much better fit for what you're after.

Is there any way you could compare the two? I took an afternoon to visit The Gallery in London (a well stocked bass shop) and spent quite a while putting both through their paces. If you don't want a fuzzed-up sound all the way through, it might also be worth trying the SABDDI with a second FX box to control the distortion.

Wulf

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, I prefer the SABBDI for home recording. The M80 is better for me live as an eq/di box.
    Horses for courses :)

9. have any of you fellas ever pushed an od traynor bass head really hard so it distorts a lot? i like that type of distortion a lot. the traynor head i tried is an all tube head. so yeah, what can you tell me from that?

thank you all
    erik