Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mxr m-80

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Apr 17, 2003.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    well i played one today. i really enjoyed it. i definately like that it has the mid control. but the distortion on it seemed very sterile. what do you guys think and how do you think it compares to the sans amp bass id?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I had one and just sold it to SMASH. That was more because I wasn't using it rather than any reflection on it's quality.

I got some pretty good warm distortion sounds using the blend and boosting the bass.

Compared to the SABBDI, I think it makes a better pedal for live use due to the mid control and two channel operation. While I've had good recorded sounds via the SABBDI, higher levels of blend seem to muddy the sound and some mid control would be nice.

For the money, I think the M80 is great value - DI box, EQ & distortion.

3. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    you should do a search.

i think its a great value, i liked the m-80's sound more than the sansamp and any other plain distro/od pedal. it has a ton of features and you can do alot more than just use it for di or distortion. its also a good bit less than the sansamp.