MXR M-88 Bass Octave Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Usul, Mar 15, 2001.

1. Guitar Center has these for 50% off this month.Got G.A.S. and can`t afford anything big but would like to buy a new toy!

What exactly does an octive pedal do?I understand it lowers your tone an octave,but how/why are they used.Also is anyone familar with this brand/model?I currently don`t own any effects,although my amp has like 9 onboard ones.Those are a drag cuz who wants an effect for the whole song? LOL

Thanks in Advance!
  2. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    It plays a note an octave below the note you play. It may not track down too low. That is the catch. I have heard of some that can go as low a s a low G, but that is about as low as I have heard.

Check out some of the discussions on the EBS Octabass. It is supposed to be the bomb for this. I believe that did a review of it a few months ago. You might give that a try.

Thanks for telling me there was a GC that opened yesterday here in Indy. I am going tonight!
  3. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    How much is it before the 50% off? I think i have seen it for around $100.
  4. The catalog/flier shows the list price as $135.00.
    I will look into the other pedal you mentioned though! :)
  5. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    I take it back, the price I saw was $119.00 at

The EBS pedal goes fro around $160. Bass Northwest carries them. carries them too.

You may have trouble finding them locally. They are made in Sweeden. I can't find them anywhere in Indianapolis.
  6. Thanks KD,

I plan on going to Guitar Center to do some drooling and maybe buy something this weekend.If I do I will let you know what I get! :)
  7. :) OK,I broke down and bought the MXR Bass Octive pedal.Hey,I had to! There was only one left and this other dude was really looking at it! :D

The weenies at GC said they only ever have one in stock at a time(can you say "ignorant"?)So when I got it had no box nor instructions.I am trying to find a website to get a lil info on it.No,I did`nt try and listen to it at the store.....impossible to even hear in there!If me no likem ,me returnem! ugh had MXR stuff but only for guitar...."Spock....must...have literature!!" *Capt. Kirk voice*
  8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  9. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    I went to the GC this week. I played around on it, but they had it set up to run through a wimpy guitar amp. There is no way to tell if I would really like it. The guitar amp couldn't really do it justice. I didn't buy it. it was $99. I might check it ou when I can hear it a little better. This was the opening weekend for the GC this week.

I went to the Mars and used my $25 gift certificate towards a Boss EQ pedal. I like it.
  10. hey guy's I would just like to say a word about the Danelectro chili dog's part of their mini effects line.I must say that i'm pretty impressed with this little's sound is much like the Boss OC2 it has the same controls(oct.1-oct.2-direct) and operates the same way and sounds just as good in my opinion and I liked it better than the DOD,it tracks pretty well.and this is the best part,it only cost $35.00(tax incl.) BRAND NEW!!!!!!(the only thing wrong with this pedal is that it's pink..but you might think it's cool) I have not tried the MXR so I can't make a comment on it,but I have tried the EBS....a killer pedal(one of the best I've heard)but a bit pricey for a one trick pony..this one would be a good one to get to find out if this effect is to your liking(you wont be out a lot of cash)did I mention it's only 35 U.S. dollars :)
  11. Right on!I should have tried that one before I bought the MXR-88.I think I am going to return/exchange the MXR anyways,it`s fun but was an impulse buy.Definately going to check out the Danelectro toys! :)

Thanks for the info,bro!
  12. don't buy COMPULSEIVLY(spelling????)