1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MXR M182 El Grande Bass Fuzz or Boss ODB, or both?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cheche32, Oct 7, 2013.

1. cheche32

cheche32

Jun 25, 2013
    Mexico City
    Is there a difference between these two pedals that make useful having both in my pedalboard??

2. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Bonifay, FL.
    The ODB-3 is more of a cutting OD/Distortion, whereas the El Grande is a big, corpulent, woolly fuzz. They're COMPLETELY different, therefore, GO FOR IT! ;)

3. Both. I have the El Grande and it's great for some songs. The OD is on my wish list...(next to a dozen other pedals ;))

4. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    I had a El Grande & it was cool but I didn't use it enough to warrant the space on my board.
    I've had 2 boss ODB3's ... a stock one that I did the Wampler mod on & the one I have now that has the Monte Allums Tri-gain mod.

The stock ODB3 is OK but the high end is pretty horrible IMHO.
    The Wampler mod is simple to do & makes the ODB3 a very good pedal ... it night & day different from stock.

The MA Tri-gain modded ODB3 is another planet compared to stock & has made it one of my fave dirt pedals ever!

5. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    The elgrande is an untameable beast of seriously nasty fuzz, the odb3 is an od'that leans more towards distortion imo so they are vastly different pedals

6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The mxr el grande bass fuzz has a whoolly crunchy fuzz sound while the boss odb-3 has an extreme high-gained fuzz-like distortion. if you want a distortion pedal that's tamed but has plenty of gain, the digitech bass driver would be a good choice. I also would recommend the ebs metaldrive if you have the cash for it.

7. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
  8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    GMC likes this.
  9. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Bonifay, FL.
    Oddly enough, one of the ODB's quirks that people dislike is precisely why I use it for a particular style I sometimes use. That "cheesy fizziness" makes it better for slide bass than everything else I've tried to use.

10. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    That's true that the boss obd-3 does have it's quirks. and because of this, the boss obd-3 has some mixed opinions.

11. Actually, the El Grande is the weak link on my board. I've been thinking about a new fuzz/distortion/OD pedal (maybe Swollen Pickle?). Too many other holes though first :D

12. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you're looking to buy a fuzz pedal, check out the mxr bass fuzz deluxe. this fuzz pedal has a different sound compared to a big muff and it doesn't obliterate lows.

Driven Crane likes this.
  13. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Had it, sounded great in the store. In a loud rock band mix (and trio non the less), the fuzz tone was buried while the dry tone cut through. Totally useless to me.

14. Billy C.

Billy C. Billy C.

Hello!, I am currently using the EL Grande Fuzz because it gives me that 70's sound & vibe that I need in our classic 60's & 70's Cover band. BUT, it is VERY difficult o control with it's touchy "NOISE" issue. ( Many know this pedal must be set LOW for volume.) My question is, Does the MXR BASS FUZZ DELUXE give the "SAME" sound as the EL GRANDE, AND is it EASIER to control it's output NOISE control factor?? Can anyone contribute here, PLEASE! ALSO, IS there another BASS FUZZ out there that can give me that 60's & 70's FUZZ sound? ( I'm hearing, "Dance to the music", Sly & Family Stone sound, "Satisfaction" Stones,"PSYCOTIC REACTION", Count 5. kind of FUZZ sounds!) PLEASE contribute if you can!

15. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    You should try the mxr bass fuzz deluxe. it's got a great fuzz sound and it's got a separate clean volume and fuzz volume so you can get a killer bass fuzz sound without obliterating lows.

16. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Walmer
    I have an MXR El Grande and I really like it. I've modified mine so that the internal pot and switch is now on the outside of the case and it makes this pedal a lot more versatile. It certainly calms the wild volume issue.
    All fuzz pedals have a distinctive tone, unique to that pedal. I really like the El Grande, but didn't much care for the MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe. I really like the Way Huge Swollen Pickle too. I find the two tones contrast well. The El Grande is a bright and clear sounding fuzz and the Swollen Pickle is great for low or mid scooped out blistering fuzz. Neither are like a wet blanket fuzz which a lot of guitar sourced fuzzes or OD are.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  17. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Erm.. That's the one I was talking about...

18. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Oh you tried the mxr bass fuzz deluxe and you didn't like the sound? okay, if fuzz isn't your thing, you should try a distortion pedal. there are so many to choose from.

19. I had the El Grande for a couple of years. I actually think it is a great fuzz. Huge low end and quite versatile. It doesn't have that scooped muff sound; instead, there's enough mids to cut through the mix. Works great for darker and brighter tones. The gain knob is a little too sensitive, but it really has balls. If you're looking for a nasty, tremendous fuzz, I sugest you to look at it.

I sold it last year, but only because I didn't really used fuzz that much, and I needed the space in my board. But, I kinda regret doing that. It has a distinct character in comparision to other more common fuzzes.

20. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Nah dude, I've had plenty of fuzz pedals, and I like fuzz just fine. MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe was simply getting lost in the mix for me. I liked the tone ok, but it got lost in the mix. My current fuzz pedal (Wren & Cuff TFR) works great. I never said I didn't like the tone of BFD (although I much prefer the tone of TFR). I'm in a pretty loud rock band, so it just didn't work for me. I'm currently GAS free as far as dirt pedals go. My TFR and VMT do everything dirt wise for me.