Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MXR M188 auto Q

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Picked one of these up. If you can stand my wanking, here's a demo with a couple of different settings This is a p-bass with nothing else on it:

Sound sample temp gone until I can find it.

2. That's a pretty nice sound sample, I thought that was pretty interesing when the LFO kicked in creating oscillator like effects was pretty cool.

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    We should try and post sound samples for each other as much as possible. I went to the store to try out a chorus pedal and got that thing instead. I can't wait to hear it through the rig with my Conklin instead of the Pbass and my soundcard.

4. That was really helpful, thanks! Well done.

5. Yeah, it was nice playing anyway... I'm trying to start recording, it's all sort of pricey and I have barely any money as is right now. I am getting a recording computer built (sllllllllllllowly) so I should have some stuff eventually.

How is the bypass hurting? I've heard bad things about the way it sucks tone when it's not on.

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Bigfeet, you can always buy a bypass pedal. I was too lazy to make one, so I bought one off of the net. Do a search of this forum for bypass pedals for more info.

My bypass pedal works great. When the effects pedals are not engaged, I totally bypass the effect pedals' circuit so the tone of my bass is unaffected. and IMHO, it does make a difference. Without true bypass, even if the effects are off, you lose some high end and high mids along with a little signal strength.

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    It's not as bad as some EHX pedals, but it's noticeable. I use that router thing, the DW LABS quickchange, so I don't worry too much about that anymore. Anyway, it does suck tone a bit, but it's not the worst I've heard.

8. Oh, I know... I was just curious about how bad it was. I have a ton of bypass box links on my computer already, I don't think I need anymore. :eek: :D

Thanks anyway.