Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MXR-M80 AND SABDDI both incoming

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassampegman, Jan 26, 2005.

1. I know these have been mentioned loads about which one is best but i need to get to grips with one of these asap for live gigging. Can anybody give me some setting tips as a good starting point.

What i have:

ASHDOWN ABM500 EV0 11 Head

Ampeg cabs

Musicman Stingray 4 string 3 eq

What i want: To fill out my sound , more grunt, more meaty etc etc while guitarist plays solos etc.
    Do not want to/ or need to run it all the time as i love my natural sound of bass and amp but i need a lift at times.
    I sometimes use the Sub harmoniser on the amp to fill out the sound but this isnt ideal.

Any ideas of what i can expect, please do not suggest alternatives to the two incoming models as i need to try them and eliminate them from my search if no good at this stage.

Incidently my plan is to sell whichever is the less successful of the two units.

Please help if you can

2. geeyza

geeyza

Apr 6, 2004
    boozer
    I havent tried the MXR-M80,but I use sansamp BDDI,when you try it out,pay extra attention to blend knob.for me that is the key control (I keep it around 11 oclock).it is a great little unit, very handy.
    hope it helps

3. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I have both the sansamp, it will give you more meat to your tone for sure, It has a pretty wide variety of tones you can set, but i mostly use it for a little overdrive. Search TB effects forum for sansamp you will find lots of knob setting examples.

Just got a MXR - 80 its a great little phaser too, only one knob to affect the phase speed but what it does it does well. Although it does affect your natural signal. I would suggest looking into a true bypass pedal such as

http://www.loooper.com/

4. The MXR-M80 is the bass driver pedal that is like the SABDDI,i didnt know which one to get so ive ordered both !!

5. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    m80 has a second knob to enable/disable the overdrive.

6. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Woops, i was thinking MXR phase 90 :bag:

7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I have and use the MXR M-80 DI+ and reviewed it here. I like it better than the Sansamp because it gives truer distortion, as opposed to the Sansamp that gives more of an overdrive. It is a tad more versatile than the Sansamp too.

Ted

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    There's a few threads comparing the two, if you haven't read those I'd advise doing so. There's a great megathread in this forum about it.
    Both units come with sample settings, use those as a starting point.
    One good trick with the m-80, put the distortion to 0 and then when you start the second channel it applies the eq color only. So you can go back and forth between normal and slap friendly eq.

9. Well my SABDDI arrived, still awaiting the MXR-M80 and also the Hartke VXL BASS ATTACK pedal.

Tried the SABDDI with my Ashdown rig and my initial findings are this. The Ashdown rig normal tone cannot really be improved upon for my needs, but to fill out the bass with a little overdrive during guitar solos etc this will certainly work without doubt.

Next i await the MXR and the Hartke pedals to compare them against each other.

Im not looking to change my "normal " amp sound as it s very nice as it is , just add a flavour of overdrive and beefed up bass during songs that need it.

I will keep you posted, incidently i found that the Sabddi can also make some horrible sounds if the drive , presence and treble are too high. Its surprising how nice it is with all knobs at 12 o clock approx ! maybe the presence backed off a bit

10. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yep, I generally keep mine with all the knobs (inlcuding blend) at 12:00. Sometimes I'll bump the presence to 12:30 or 1:00 (I've found just that much can make a huge difference.) And once in a while I'll roll the blend all the way to 100% SansAmp if I want to bleed off all the transparent glassiness of the direct sound and work with a more "lo-fi" tone (works great with aggressive fingerstyle, less so with slapping.)