1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR M80 DI Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jtc_hunter, Feb 24, 2008.

1. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I just bought one of the M80 DI boxes and when I output the 1/4" on the the left side to a channel on the mixer., I seem to get much more volume than when I use the Lo-Z output on the left side. Is this normal? I have been using it at practice so I dont have to take a bass amp to the practice room.

2. Mine is the same, so it seems to be normal in this instance.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You should use a mic cable to the mixer. I tried to find the spec, but it's likely that the 1/4-inch jack is at line level and the XLR is at mic level.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I believe that is correct. Use the XLR out, not the parallel 1/4" output.

5. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I just played thru it again, and this time i used a good quality mic cord. Volume was good. Another case of "dont use cheap cords".

6. Mharris

Mharris

Sep 25, 2007
    Missoula Montana
    I just purchased the MXR M-80 but haven't used the XLR out yet. I've heard a few different places that it's a little noisy. However, I've read many a review where people are praising it. Although many reviews of this particular pedal indicate that the XLR has never even been used.

Does anyone have any experience of the XLR performance to report on?

7. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I use the XLR most weeks as I don't always play with an amp on stage. I've had nothing from praise from sound engineers about the quality of of the DI.

8. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    When i used it last night w/ a good quality mic cable , it sounded great. The "preset" "color" setting sounded the best to me. No noise at all thru the foh.

9. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    all the experience i have of the DI on this has been great! Engineers love it!

10. Mharris

Mharris

Sep 25, 2007
    Missoula Montana
    That's very relieving to hear. Thanks a ton guys.:hyper:

11. Mharris

Mharris

Sep 25, 2007
    Missoula Montana
    One more question... What type of microphone cables do use use when running direct? This is an area I don't want to go too cheap on. Any suggestions?

12. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    Van Damme cable with Neutrik plugs.

13. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun

Feb 5, 2011
    When you use the XLR on the MXR, it sends the affected signal right (colored by all the settings on the MXR that I choose)?

Also, if I had a preamp without the XLR out, is it impossible to play a gig where there is no bass amp?

14. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Correct, if you want to send an unaffected signal use the parallel out, but this is just a jack so it will then need to go via a DI.

If there is no bass amp then you'll need to get your signal to the PA, preferably via a DI box to get a balanced signal. If your preamp has no DI out, just a line out it should then go via a DI to the PA.

15. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun

Feb 5, 2011
    Thanks, how about recording? My PCI card only has line in. Does going from the MXR line out to the line in on my PCI card vs. going from XLR out on MXR to line in on the PCI card make a difference in any way? I can do the latter with my XLR-to-1/4 cable.

Also, do you think it's my responsibility as a bass player to carry around a DI (when I go to gigs) or is it the venue who should have the DI? I've never used the XLR out on the MXR and if I'll never use it, I may as well downgrade to a smaller preamp that does only the tone-shaping (I would also like to get a separate OD instead of MXR's dist channel).

16. Is it a balanced line in? If so, use the XLR balanced output on the m-80. If not, it doesn't matter.

It is not 'required' to bring a DI. but if you are playing smaller venues that might not have enough of them it's a good idea.

More importantly, the DI is a lifesaver if your amp craps out. I've had that happen, and being able to go direct from your pedalboard last minute is really great.

I bring the m-80 and an XLR cable to every gig. It's a lot lighter than a spare amp!

17. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun

Feb 5, 2011
    Thanks, I don't even have an amp (aside from a practice amp). Amp crapping out is a good point. I guess like you and many others, I will carry around my M80 as a backup while exploring other stuff for permanent positions on my board.

18. Think about putting the m-80 last on your board. You can use it as a volume boost for times when you need it. Keep the distortion off on the second channel and you have two separate boosts with preset volumes and a decent eq. Pretty cool.

19. kokoshmusun

kokoshmusun

Feb 5, 2011
    Sure, I do use the dist channel as a boost by turning off the gain and blend and just keeping the volume at a higher setting than the other channel, and that is nice. I actually even use a bit of the dist. Even though I always think I don't like it so much, it sounds much better in a band setting with a proper amp, with just a little gain and blend (around 10 o'clock). I do also have it last in my board as you suggested (only the tuner comes after M80). Thanks!