1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MXR M80 mods

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jcburn, Jul 13, 2018 at 9:56 PM.

1. Hey everyone - I realise there are numerous threads about this.
    Yesterday on the DSM Noisemaker OCSD thread a guy mentioned that Mike Putnam thinks he may be able to mod the pedal so that the Color EQ isn't on by default on the distortion channel.. .. this would be very cool.
    Also noticed on Reverb some if the Japanese items refer to a Waxx mod. I'm not sure what this refers to and Google translate isn't helping - does anyone know what those might refer to?
    I think the M80 is nearly a great pedal. If you could engage the distortion without the Color being on that would make it way more versatile.
    Also a mod to the type of distortion might be cool....(@johnk_10 ... .have you ever lifted the lid on this one?)

4StringAxe likes this.
  2. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    MXR should tackle this, just look at the new Dyna Comp Deluxe. The M81 is great, but there’s a reason people are still talking about doing this to the M80.

On the Zoom B3, you’re able to turn the Color off on the M80 preset. One of my favorite drive sounds from the B3.

4StringAxe, BrentSimons and jcburn like this.
  3. I agree, plus the ability maybe to remove a little of the fizz.
    I love the pedal. I currently use it as distortion blended into the drive channel of my EBS Billy Sheehan Sig Overdrive deluxe and it sounds killer, but by itself I think it would be rad with the changes described above.

4StringAxe and BrentSimons like this.
  4. I would really like to see a version 2 of the M80 with some tasty options. I used to own the pedal but mainly use the M80 sim on my B3n which is a great copy! The ability to turn off the color switch on the dirt channel is ideal.
    On a V2 be able to disengage the color on the dirt side or give it it's own eq, speaker sim, aux in and headphone out maybe dual XLRs ? One clean one dirty or the ability to switch to a blend of both? They could even package it in their Doubleshot Distortion pedal casing.
    I'd be happy. ;)

4StringAxe likes this.
  5. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    The color switch on mine broke long ago.
    Won't engage unless I hold it in. At least it didn't break in the on position. But I would love a V2. As is, a very good pedal with even more potential.

Al Kraft and BrentSimons like this.
  6. Does anyone know if we have a Dunlop\MXR rep that visits the board? I feel these enhancements are needed so that the MXR line will stay competitive with the likes of Darkglass, Two Notes, Shiftline etc.
    Hell - even Tech 21 updated the BDDI a year or two ago to make it more versatile and to overcome the gripes people had about it.
    And while I'm at it - Aguilar, for the love of God add a variable volume control for the Tone Hammer's AGS channel .
    This could become a whole separate thread! "How would you alter current preamp DIs to make them awesome?"

wmmj and 4StringAxe like this.
  7. I think if the unit had the ability to disengage Color on distortion channel, a defeatable cab sim, aux in and headphones out I think that would make it a rad pedal.
    I'm gonna email MXR I think. I'd buy another if it had those traits, and I think it would put to rest all the stuff everyone whinges about in this unit.

wmmj likes this.