Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MXR M80 or Sansamp Bass driver

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Whitmore, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Whitmore

Whitmore

Aug 13, 2005
    The title explains it all. but i have been looking at DI w/ distorion built in and i have narrowed it down to these two basically because of features and an overall satisfaction level from other people. Now i am in the dilemma of which i actually want to get. As of now the M80 is in the lead due to more tonal options i believe and it just seems like most people who use them have a good experience. Any advice that agrees or disagrees with getting this pedal would be much appreciated. I mainly want to use this distortion for spicing up the lines in some songs. I also want the eq section so i can make my sound really punchy.

Thanks

Whitmore

EDIT: To help you guys out my amp is an Ampeg SVT-450H through an Ampeg 610-HLF my bass is an Ibanez EDB600 if that makes any difference. My main music is stuff along the lines of emo/screamo/alternative type stuff check out our myspace for a few examples of our songs.

2. Well considering i have never tried the sans amp i cant reallly compare the two,
    but i own and use the mxr and i love it,
    i have gotten a nice crunchy distortion with good sustain,
    and the preamp is great to tweak you clean sound.

i hope this helps,

-Rory

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    IMHO the MXR is a great tone control but a lousy distoriton pedal.

I don't use mine in that capacity at all.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd get the SansAmp Para Driver. Three-band EQ with semi-parmetric mid and the drive control, too.

[​IMG]

5. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I've had both- I like the MXR. I like it's distortion, and I like it's tone control.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  7. Helstar

Helstar

Nov 26, 2005
    I went with mxr I need it to survive LOL no really the mxr is awsome

8. Whitmore

Whitmore

Aug 13, 2005
    was that supposed to be some sort of emo joke or something? if it was a joke it was lost on me. But so far the majority seem to say go MXR. plus since the sansamp is a tube emulator and i dont like the sound of tubesand prefer solid state sound. Not to mention the only reason i need the distortion feature is to try and make a guitar like sound underneath a lead guitar since we dont have rhythm in the song. I think the actual dist over OD will work better. Anyone else with comments before i actually make the purchase?

Thanks

Whitmore