MXR M80 or SansAmp paired with distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by flury, Jun 2, 2004.

1. flury

May 21, 2004
    What would be MXR M80 or a Sansamp DI paired with say...a Boss Overdrive pedal? How should I run either setup, inline or effects loop?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, the MXR on it's own will be cheaper than the sansamp/boss combo. Whether or not you like the MXR is another question, but it'll give you the di/distortion/eq in one box.
    Why not get it from somewhere like musicians friend or which has a generous return period?

Oh, and you'd run it linline
  3. flury

May 21, 2004
    Im definitly going to play both depeneding on how carries what around here but I guess what Im asking a sansamp with a distortion pedal in the same line feasible and will it give better or worse results than the m80 which has both in the same box?
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes, it's certainly feasible. As to how you like the sound, depends on what you're after.

Neither will sound any 'worse' than the other, they're both quality items. An important thing to remember is that the MXR gives you bass/mid/treble eq control, whereas the Sansamp only has bass and treble.

I think there are better distortion pedals out there than the distortion that is available on the M-80, but the M-80 on it's own will cost less than the Sansamp never mind the additional cost of whatever distortion pedal you choose.
  5. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Proud user of the M80 here!
    Though I must say that many people do noy like the onboard distortion, definatly try it out before you decide which to go for, you MAY still need a seperate distortion pedal (I do)

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I use a Fulltone Bass-Drive and a SansAmp BDDI. Heaven on Earth.
  7. i use the boss odb-3 and the sansamp in my rig
    first of all, i know this has been said a billion times before, but the samsamp wont give you true distortion. it only adds 'grit' to your sound. i usually run the sansamp at the factory setting 'svt' in the book, maybe with a bit of drive or presence rolled off. this just gives me a second main sound (along with the sound i get going straight into my swr). then i run the odb-3 after this (i.e between the sansamp and my amp) at the factory setting 'natural overdrive' or fuzz' depending on the song. i also use the odb-3 in tandem with a crybaby bass wah to get a sound like timmy.c's on 'calm like a bomb' by ratm (if you are familiar with this) or a cliff burton like fuzz wah sound. the sansamp does not really have enuf all out overdrive/distortion for applications like these.
    If you are after a nice alternate sound (with the added bonus of a di)that can add a bit of grit then i would get the sansamp at first. if you decide after playing with this that you need more grit then get a dedicated overdrive (fulltone, boss, digitech, whatever sounds good to you). that is if money is not an issue.
    however if you want a quick fix and money has to be taken into account then judging by the reviews ive seen on here (ive never actually tried it) the mxr seems like a good alternative.
    hope that helps. :smug:
  8. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    For a while I was running bass->art levelar->sansamp->mxr.. It sounded really cool and was probably one of the better bass distortions I've heard.
  9. flury

May 21, 2004
    NO ONE carried the m80 around here. So Im about to pickup a uised sansamp for cheap and then Ill try out different distortion pedals with it.

Thanks for the suggestions :bassist: