MXR M80 or SansAmp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Goose55, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Hi everybody,

I noticed that very many of you love the SansAmp, but I almost don't hear you people about the MXR M80. I myself have the M80 but I never had the chanse to try the SansAmp. I realy like the M80, but I want to know about the sound diverince between the 2. Anybody?

Greets Lex.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For a DI, I liked them the same. Both nice and quiet. I preferred the dirty tones from the MXR M-80 but the overdrive on the Sansamp. In the long run, I guess it came down to whether you prefer harsh distortion or light grit.
  3. SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    I have the M-80. I researched and tried both out first. I flip-flopped on the decision like I did on no other gear I own. In the end, the M-80 took it because of two things I found: 1) I found a greater variety of tone shaping; and 2) I liked its grind better. Of course, the SansAmp outsells the M-80 by about a 1000 to 1 and those folks seem to be pretty smart so I don't think I would have gone wrong with that unit. I just liked the M-80 a touch more.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  5. You are the master of the search function.

I have tried using it many times, and consider myself lucky if I get a result with less than 500 matches, using both detailed phrases and short keywords.