Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MXR M80 or SansAmp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Goose55, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Hi everybody,

I noticed that very many of you love the SansAmp, but I almost don't hear you people about the MXR M80. I myself have the M80 but I never had the chanse to try the SansAmp. I realy like the M80, but I want to know about the sound diverince between the 2. Anybody?

Greets Lex.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For a DI, I liked them the same. Both nice and quiet. I preferred the dirty tones from the MXR M-80 but the overdrive on the Sansamp. In the long run, I guess it came down to whether you prefer harsh distortion or light grit.

3. SmittyG

SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    I have the M-80. I researched and tried both out first. I flip-flopped on the decision like I did on no other gear I own. In the end, the M-80 took it because of two things I found: 1) I found a greater variety of tone shaping; and 2) I liked its grind better. Of course, the SansAmp outsells the M-80 by about a 1000 to 1 and those folks seem to be pretty smart so I don't think I would have gone wrong with that unit. I just liked the M-80 a touch more.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  5. You are the master of the search function.

I have tried using it many times, and consider myself lucky if I get a result with less than 500 matches, using both detailed phrases and short keywords.