1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mxr m80 review

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mattbass97, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    I recently bought an mxr m80 for £95 brand new off basschat in the UK and wow am I happy! Within 5 minutes of plugging it in I found my perfect sound that I've been searching for ever since I started playing bass, I kid you not. The construction is absolutely second to none it's brilliant I can see it lasting a long long time. People said they've had problems with the battery compartment being cheap and Breaking well I purposely forced mine a bit and it's sturdy just like the one off a 105q bass wah and I've had no problems with either!

Now the eq on this is simple and effective, 3 knobs bass, mid, treble. It is great sounding and super easy to get a great/fantastic sound!! The colour switch is a thing of dreams, a bass and treble boost with a certain selected mid freq creates a perfect boost and punch with clarity that just blows me away! The distortion channel is not crap as I've heard many people say. It can go from tubey overdrive to blown out distortion that stays full and juicy no matter what. The combination of the eq and the distortion give a huge amount of different sounds to gain. This pedal can do so much in terms of finding YOUR sound. I personally find it a million times better than an eq with freq bands as mxr/Dunlop have used really great freq selections in this pedal and I adore them for that haha. I haven't had time to try out the di out but I'm sure it will be amazing.

Overall I have to say this pedal is a well constructed, great sounding and brilliantly put together pedal and i hope it will be with me for a long time and it truely sounds a hell of a lot better than any demo on the Internet and if you think any of the demos are good then go for it because it will only sound better in person.

Share your experiences! And if you have any questions I'll do my best to answer :)

2. I've always disregarded this pedal as crap as well as the distortion I've always heard from it, but one video has me interested in it.

Yes, that's my comment there, and I believe it to be relatively true for most of the YT vids of it, even MXR's own demo:

Also, does anyone own both the M-80 and the Darkglass B3K? how do they play together?

3. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Are u saying its crap or good? Lol

4. Road Bull

Road Bull

Jul 24, 2011
    Seattle, WA.
    I enjoy my M80. This package has a lot of nice options. Color, no color, eq, distortion, blend, and it's like having additional tonal options for all the pedals that you already own. It seems to really beef up any fuzz and OD pedals you have.

I do wish there were more videos available of this and other pedals in action. The MXR page has the great Boby Vega demoing the M80, but he was primarily rocking a pick. Overall, I think it does not do a good job of presenting this pedal. I think great reviews have various styles putting the pedals through it's paces.

As for a DI+, this is a pretty popular pedal. Many are split between the Tech 21 BDDI and the MXR M80. IMHO the M80 has a lot more options going for it and more control over EQ than the BDDI.

Now I am just trying to figure if I want to keep my Tech 21 BDDI for anything. I have a BDDI, VT, and Green Rhino that play in the same ballpark. Time to find my weakest link, or two, and vote it off the PB.

5. scHism

scHism

Aug 12, 2009
    Philippines
    I do, B3K > MXR BEF > BF3 > M80. B3K always on, thin grunt, M80 distortion side acts as my "heavy" boosted tone. Very little distortion on the M80 about 70/30 blend, gives just a little more body to my B3K I assume because of the scoop of the color switch. They work great together, sold my Hematoma since getting the B3K. Hematoma and M80 IME drowns out each other.

Sorry no equipment to load a demo.

6. I bought my M80 for 100 quid from Basschat! Seems like you got a slightly better deal ;)
    I really love my M80. The tone I get from it is similar to the video FaithNoMan posted but with more mids. It doesn't sound incredible when you're playing alone in the bedroom, but in rehearsals (and the two gigs) it's been great. I don't use much of the overdrive though, something like gain at minimum and blend at 11 o'clock.

7. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Haha looks like I did ;) and I love it in the bedroom (hahahahah) looks like I'll love even more in band practice and gigs!

8. No, I enjoyed that clip, and probably because he didn't completely gut the midrange. Although a larger mix of the distortion on the M-80 sounds pretty ugly to me, I can see it being used as a good preamp to feed the B3K into, like scHism said.

B3K provides the grind, and the M-80 provides the booty and the fuzzy edges. My Oxford already does that quite well, but I'm always wanting to explore. Basically, I really like the B3K and want to hear it through as many different preamps as I can.:rollno::hyper::rolleyes:

9. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Haha I see

10. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Dunlop are adding some great videos for their pedals. This one by Tim Lefebvre of the Bass Octave Deluxe is excellent. Hopefully there will be one of the M80 soon too.

11. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    The only thing I don't like about it is MXR's decision to make the the Color switch be always-on for the distortion channel. Everything else about the pedal sounds great, but that alone was a deal-breaker for me.

I can get a nice aggressive sound with just the EQ side (color off) but when I go to add some dirt and really bring it to life, all the mids get scooped and the bass is annoyingly boosted. Ridiculous. If you're going to give the player the option of using the color switch, don't then turn around and force them to use it for half the pedal.

12. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Mine is always on. The switch broke, but that wasn't a problem, since I never turned it off. I wired it on and leave it on.

Bonus points because you can power it with phantom power from the mixer! No more dead batteries, and this thing can get really crappy in hurry when the battery is going down.

Take a few points off because it would be nice to be able to mute the signal to FOH for tuning. Maybe I should get a tuner that mutes, in front of the M-80, but I love my rack tuner with the red light that zips back and forth....

The dirt side? I've got a few issues with that, but a light application can be very nice.

The M-80 plays well with the 105Q cry baby.

This is the pedal that has outlived all the others, I take it everywhere.

13. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    The forced color circuit with the distortion was why I got rid of mine. The Trace Elliot amp I used had a better sounding scoop preset than the M80, so I left it off for clean. But when I switched on the distortion, things got too muddy. It was a nicely built unit though, and I can understand why people like it. It depends on your rig.
    I replaced it with a VT Deluxe which suits me better. Plus, six different sounds at my feet instead of three!

14. Pretty much +1 to everything that's been said so far lol. I use my m80 in conjunction with a b3k and like a couple guys said it really helps fill out the sound and thicken things up a bit. It's true the baked in scoop on the distortion sucks but there's two ways to work around that IMO.

First as many have already said, use the distortion sparingly not wide open. I'm on vacation right now but my dist settings are something like gain 7:30-8 o'clock & blend around 9 0'clock. That way u still get some grit on ur clean tone and limit the scoop since ur still pushing mostly clean signal. Secondly, and this isn't for a lot of folks I'm sure but I prefer having my low mids boosted a bit so usually my bass and/or m80 always has some mids goosed a bit and the treble & bass cut slightly so if I use the dist channel with a higher blend ratio the pedals default eq setting kind of defeats the baked in scoop enough for me to like it.

On a final note, I helped a buddy of mine do a sound check awhile back and just brought the m80 and my bass and the sound guy seemed to really like my tone! It was odd though cuz they didn't even have a monitor so I had a hard time hearing myself with just the pa pointing out toward the audience and the drummer right next to me. I kept turning up and he kept turning me down... Was kinda funny lolz

15. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    The scoop has never been a problem....just crank the mids. ;-)

16. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Even with the mids cranked I'm still scooped. Unfortunate because with the color switch off it boosts the mids really well.

17. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    I'm gonna see about possibly getting a mod done so that I have the option to use the colour switch when distortion is engaged and might get the buttons to light up when engaged too haha

18. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    That would be a great mod. The times I have used my M80, I bump the mids pretty much WFO, to compensate for the scoop with the "must have" switch, on the gain channel

19. Kurtzwalt

Kurtzwalt

Mar 15, 2015
    Hi Matt
    I bought this pedal yesterday and it' s really fantastic as you describe.
    I have a question. Is it normal that the balanced output is not too loud?
    I connect to my soundcard to record and I had to push ti the max the volume of MXR and the gain knob of the soundcard
    Thanks in Advance
    Kurtz

20. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    I have had it in 2009. I have gifted it coz' of my disappointment on it. Plastic crappy battery cover and the sound was not so good...