1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR M80 vs Blowtorch

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bbe, Jan 6, 2007.

1. bbe

bbe

Nov 6, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    How does the distortion on the mxr m80 di compare to the distortion on the mxr blow torch? i have the m80 and was recently looking for another distortion for my board and the blow torch caught my attention, and i have already searched for this topic.

2. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    the blowtorch is fuzz man..balls out distortion and fuzz. I love it, but i haven't been able to find a 18v Adapter :(

3. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I disagree... I was really disappointed. I tried to like it, but it just doesn't sound very good to me.

Edit: I mean the Blowtorch. Dunno about the M80.

4. I could get NO usable distortion out of the Blowtorch I tried out at Sam ash. Maybe a defective pedal, but it didn't distort anything.

5. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Honestly, the blowtorch seems to subscribe to a very specific brand of bassist. I hear, however, it is good in band situations in that it won't get lost in a mix. Even then, I can't stand the way it sounds...

What kind of distortion (or OD/Fuzz) are you looking for? We may be able to reccomend the right one for you ;-D

6. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    Sheesh so much hate for the blowtorch :-o

7. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    That's because it's crap :smug:

8. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    sounds good through my ampeg preamp and into my GK1001 ;-p

9. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Only because that gear makes it sound good ;)

10. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    I've said it before in another thread. The blowtorch sounds just like a bunch of farts. I can see absolutly no use for that pedal.

11. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    As far as I'm concerned, both weren't that great.

If the Blowtorch could actually light stuff on fire, I'd buy it. Otherwise, I'd pass on the opportunity :p

As for the M-80... I sold it a long time ago for a good reason - it doesn't stand up to my GK 2001RB's clean and distortion channels :smug: