1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR M81 vs Para Driver for clean CH EQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by manchild, Jul 1, 2014.

1. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Hi All,

I'm looking to get a DI tone shaping preamp pedal and I am looking at these two.

I don't use any kind of dirt and would intend to use the Para driver with the blend fully counter-clockwise if I get it.

When I shape tone I tend to boost the low mids (200hz - 400hz) then bring up the treble to bring some clarity back and take away any 'mud'. This is how I like my sound to be.

I have read a lot about both and release that they both have good and bad points - the mid sweep on the Para is wider than the MXR, however the MXR has shelving bass/treble where the Para doesn't.

How would these two compare directly in quality of tone, controls, noise, functions? Would you recommend one over the other or is just personal choice? The other factor is that the Para is nearly £70 more expensive - is it worth the investment?

Thanks in advance for your input

2. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    Similar products obviously. I doubt the difference in midrange would be an issue for bass. The Para Driver has a unique EQ structure. When "boosting" with the Bass and Treble controls the EQ utilizes a Bell shape as it is more musical and doesn't introduce unwanted frequencies. When "cutting" the EQ shelves. The midrange is a medium "Q" and is always Bell curve as it is more "musical. It's best to differentiate between "Hi Fi" type use and musical instrument use as the same principals don't always apply.

In the end it's how the EQ sounds to your ear with your instrument and system. I have not tried the MXR so I can't comment. Not to spam but I did have two other similar EQ's before I worked here that were both very good and had some useful features that the Para Driver does not have. One had 3 band parametric with adjustable Q for each band and the other had a notch filter and polarity switch but for my application as far as just EQ'ing I found it was just easier to get a sound with our unit but you may have different results. It's really best to compare directly if possible.

3. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Thanks for the info - so if I understand you correctly the bass/treble on the Para Driver are Q when boosted but are shelving from their respective EQ points when cutting? If so, then I could be persuaded by that as Id only ever cut bass and treble not boost :)

4. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    I'm not trying to persuade you just telling what our designer hadin mind. He feels that a bell shaped EQ works better for boosting so you don't get the added hash or overlapping frequencies as you would with a shelving EQ. He chose shelving just for cutting frequencies because the overlap is not an issue when cutting. It's a unique circuit.

manchild likes this.