1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR m81 vs Selling B3K for B7K?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tokonuk, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Tokonuk

Tokonuk

Jul 4, 2016
    I'd been looking at the MXR m81 for some time to replace my Behringer BDI21 because I only use it for the DI and eq. But I've found Darkglass B7K's used going for under $300. I could sell my B3K for at least $200, making the B7K upgrade around $75 or so CHEAPER than just getting the M81.

I guess I just need a second opinion on what is a better deal.

I've also wondered why the M81 is more expensive than the old M80, which has much more features like distortion and some "color" mid-scoop switch.

2. The M81 has sweepable mids, but they don't quite sweep to the frequencies I like to boost. (1.5K-2.5K).

If you like the sound of Darkglass, get the B7K.

3. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    I love being able to choose the mid frequency I need to boost to cut through the mix with my m81. I'll try to put this into words.....I find it adds a bit of air and cleanliness to the signal without adding colour at all. Whenever I take it away from the end of my chain or bypass it all together, I lose some shine. I think u would find more benefit with b3k+m81 than a b7k. But if u throw a b7k ultra into the mix then that would have to be the winner(from what I've heard and my major GAS for one)

FaithNoMan likes this.
  4. Tokonuk

Tokonuk

Jul 4, 2016
    I definitely feel what FaithNoMan said about the mid frequencies, the B3K's Lo Mid and High Mid are the EXACT frequencies I like to boost (1K and 2.8K I believe).

And keatz, by a bit of air and cleanliness without color, do you mean the effect of the m81 even with the eq flat?? And if I could afford a B7K Ultra, I wouldn't need to post in a forum about it haha

5. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    yeah with the eq flat the eq is not changed but i just feel that its clearer, like puting tap water through a filter hah. I have heard very good things about darkglass though, so If the dark glass already has the exact frequency centre points you like to work with, you may as well just have 1 pedal instead of 2 and go the b7k

6. Tokonuk

Tokonuk

Jul 4, 2016
    That's interesting. But yeah, the money I'd save getting the Darkglass and the frequencies of the eq sound like a better deal the more I think about it. The thing I think I'll miss the most, is actually a master level control

7. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    There is an output dial on the m81 which is the same as master level. But I agree in your circumstance, b7k. You can send the b3k my way to Australia hah.