1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MXR M87 Bass Compressor Issue

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cameron storey, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Cameron storey

Cameron storey

Nov 8, 2018
    Hello. I've recently been having issues with my pedal in regards to not getting any gain reduction showing up on the LED's or if they do illuminate (usually half way in the green) the reduction does not vary as you'd expect . The pedal is active with the blue led showing up on 9v battery, mains supply and dc power bank.

My set up atm is Yamaha TRBX504 (active/passive) ---> Boss TU-3 ---> MXR M87 ---> Green rhino ---> Boss Geb7 ---> fender rumble 200.

I have changed cables countless times and had the pedal direct to the bass and amp along with trying every possible setting on the pedal but nothing changes.

I have read plenty of forums on here saying to have the input at max on the pedal and bass with the output on low, this also does not help.

I noticed there is a small on/off switch on the circuit board but it doesn't seem to affect anything? What is this?

Any one got any ideas on how to sort this without spending mad money on repairs? I'm assuming it's my error as the guy I bought it off claims it worked fine for him last week.

Cheers

2. geolikezik

geolikezik Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Switzerland
    I had both MXR M76 and M87 and the leds always responded as expected with the input knob between 60 and 100% depending on the bass passive/active.

If you already tried the bass straight into the M87 powered from main and with the input knob fully clockwise and the leds still misbehaved then either you got an amazingly low-output bass or the pedal is defective.

Easy to check, use another bass or guitar or even a keyboard to check whether the leds behave differently, that should tell you who the culprit is...

Hope it helps

bongomania likes this.