1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MXR M87 Bass Compressor vs 3Leaf Audio PWNZOR

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chief redcok, Jul 18, 2012.

1. It's time... thinking about getting my hands on my first compression unit, pretty much narrowed it down to one of these.

Let me know of any major differences, the pros, the cons.

Thanks!:D

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I went with the EBS MultiComp :)

3. Nice, I was looking at that one too.. Doesn't seem like my taste, but I was also checking out the DOD Milk Box, really cheap unit, and I don't stop hearing great things about it

4. Now that I found this- http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml I feel kinda dumb for posting this thread and I think I found the answer to my question and go with the 3Leaf

5. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    I've heard good things about the 3leaf, but that name . . . ****ing terrible. Eppek fale.

6. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    Disclaimer: 3leaf and my company are partners.

Tone and sound are quite subjective, so I'll avoid commenting on that because I might be biased. But when it comes to reliability and craftsmanship, 3leaf is on a total different league. Probably the best built pedals I have seen.

Regards!

Doug.

7. Yea Im very aware of that, I used to be a proud owner of a Proton

8. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Not to start a war here or anything...but the first thing I noticed when I tried a Proton was the plastic jacks :(

Otherwise it was built nicely....but plastic jacks? I was able to unscrew and remove them just with my fingers.

I just feel that a $200+ pedal should not use plastic jacks. However I don't build pedals so I'm sure there's a reason for the plastic jack/nuts. What is it?

proton2.

9. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    MXR pedals also use plastic jacks. They have a metal dress nut which makes them appear metal from the outside.

I use Neutrik jacks which are extremely reliable. I've used over 5000 of them without a single failure.

10. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    Yeah, those jacks are as good as they get... I have tried pretty all the brands and models, and those Neutriks are incredibly reliable.

11. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

My Proton has seen some unexpected abuse from kids, dogs, environmental and owner shenanigans. It's still a beast and still works flawlessly. I've been especially impressed with the coating on it. It should have been chipping to hell after it took a tumble from the top of my stack, but it still looks new.

12. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Allright, I'll take back my comments about the plastic jacks! Like I said, I'm no pedal builder and I'm sure Spencer wouldn't use a plastic jack just to save a few cents. It's got to be quality stuff.

13. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I did my homework and then took my swing: ended up with the MXR M87.

Not a single regret. In fact, it's the only original pedal still on my board besides my TCE tuner. It's transparent, well built and the LED readout is extremely useful. I think I'd have to go rack-mount to do better. At least for what I'm looking for in a compressor.

14. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM

Dec 4, 2012
    Anyone have anymore input.

15. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    Can't comment on the 3leaf, but I've had the MXR in my possession for ~24 hours. Many people have had trouble finding settings that they were happy with, but starting with everything set to 12:00 and tweaking for ~15 minutes (across three instruments, all with different personalities), I found something I was 95% happy with. The pedal can be a bit intimidating, but if you isolate your variables, it is manageable.

16. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM

Dec 4, 2012
    Well I will be purchasing one of these and comparing shortly!

17. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Since we're here...
    I've been considering these same two options...I've owned products from both companies and haven't been disappointed in either, but I gotta ask: are they as noisy as other compressors?...I mean, are compressors just always gonna be noisy and there's no breakthrough to stop it (other than a gate which I will NOT use)?

18. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    If you compress, then use the output volume to make up for what you're compressing, you're going to raise the noise floor. How much you do so is up to you, I guess. But all compressors are prone to this phenomenon as far as I know.

Some may introduce noise of their own. Maybe they all do to some degree. I haven't found my MXR to add anything noticeable. I think Bongo's review says as much, too.

19. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM

Dec 4, 2012
    I don't hear Any noise from my MXR

20. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    I have not tried either the 3 Leaf or the MXR but I really like my Empress compressor.
    Awesome pedal.