MXR Micro Amp..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jazzmann23, Jul 17, 2003.

1. jazzmann23

jazzmann23 Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Anyone use, or have used one before? Does it suck low end? Is it true bypass? Is it effective?
  2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
  3. I went into the shop looking to pick up a sanamp bass driver and saved myself 100 clams with the MXR.

It has true bypass and if anything adds to low end because it makes the whole sound more full. It's a very subtle coloring effect and could be handy if you don't have an eq footswitch as a boost, for certain song sections.

I got it because of the SD antiquity pickups in my jazz, they sound good but don't have enough output, the microamp is the perfect little preamp for my SVT-3. The MXR boosts the signal without obliterating the detail of my pickups. So it's like I've got ballsy vintage sound. I was using an old Tube Screamer for a boost before and it was just too gritty. The MXR drives my preamp tubes hard enough for some good grit without getting buzzy.

I keep it on almost all the time. It's also way cool as a boost for my tele into an old vibrochamp.

I really like it. Great construction, good price, less noise than the sansamp. Super simple.