Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MXR Microamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Keepitcoolidge, Jan 15, 2006.

1. I've never been a big effects guy, but I was considering getting this pedal.

Could someone give me the full out specs on it?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It shouldn't take too long.
    It's a clean boost. One knob lets you adjust volume level.
    Yeah. That's it.
    Oh, it's got a switch too, so you can turn it on of off. :D

3. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I've heard that it boosts a bit of high frequencies to...

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I use a MicroAmp with my P-Bass, and I have not noticed any boost of the high frequencies.

The MicroAmp will pretty much give you a louder version of what you feed it. Your tone may be altered depending on how your Amplifier reacts to a hotter signal...

5. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    the basic idea is, it boosts the signal from your bass before it gets to what's next, be that a pedal, amp, or whatever. IT's good if you want to get a really powerful tone out of a tube amp or something and don't want to colour it with a disto pedal.

6. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Yep....I used one before I went to a Seymour Duncan booster....the MXR is just a straight, no frill's, clean boost unit.

I put it last in my signal chain and used it to boost my signal back up into the front of the amp to compensate for all of the tone sucking pedals I run.

7. bumping this up! i can use this to boost my signal cleanly to my amp right? i dont want any distorion or overdrive or whatever, i just want loud. my amp seems to have better tone punch and makes me happier with a hotter signal(i.e. active bass over passive jazz) i want the same tone just bigger ya know?

8. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    its a great pedal. I have mine last in line before the amp and it works great to boost my passive jazz a tad as opposed to my active bases. Its cheap to buy, doesn't suck tone, can be used for many different purposes, is small and well built, and really does add a nice boost to my tone. Highly recommended!

9. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    do you like the duncan better? if so, why?

inquiring minds want to know.

10. Question. Is that knob on the MXR Microamp dented?

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hmmm... do you mean "detented"? Dented is like if something heavy hits your car door and leaves an impression. Detented is when a rotary pot has "steps" that it clicks through. :)

12. Detented, yes, of course... Stupid me :)

So is it? Detented?

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

No. It's just a stupid knob.

14. ronniequeue

ronniequeue

Oct 22, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    How is this pedal with regard to the low end? Does it rob you of lower frequencies, or what? I think I hear it on the new chili peppers record (Warlocks), and on the new Mars Volta record (flea's guest solo appearance on the beginning of Day of the Baphomets). I want a raunchy, almost distorted tone, but all of the 'distortion' and 'overdrive' pedals I have tried don't sound good at all. My setup is much different than flea's, (epiphone EB-0 bass w/ one humbucking neck pickup, old flatwounds, and pick) but I think this might be close to the sound I'm after. I guess I've got to try it at the store. Everyone calls this a boost pedal, but it has the 'distorted' sound I like, not fuzzy like all the others.

15. not meaning to offend, but i've researched and found NO mention of Flea at all on Amputechture...let alone on bass...i've checked my booklet and checked out the LARGEST TMV forum...if you've found something I haven't, by all means, let me know!

But Flea does use the MXR for a clean boost on slap passages...

sean

16. ronniequeue

ronniequeue

Oct 22, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah, I'm not 100% sure it's flea on there, but since John F. contributed guitar tracks to Amputechture and a little on the last album, and since flea has played trumpet and bass on different recordings of theirs, and since it sounds just like flea, I'm just guessing. Maybe it's Juan Alderete (permanant bassist on Frances, Amputechture and for touring), who is also amazing and versatile. Anyway, back to the sound. I just want to find out as much as I can about the pedal because I haven't found one to play on yet. The clean boost that flea uses for slapping sounds distorted on some chili pepper tracks, and I don't know if he is using another pedal in conjunction with it. I know he uses a boss ODB-3 OverDrive pedal live, but it doesn't sound like that either. It's just that all of these other bass distortion/overdrive pedals all sound ****ty and fuzzy and I'm hoping someone can confirm/correct my suspicions about the sound of this pedal.

17. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Although I've never used one, I don't think this pedal sounds like anything. It sounds like loud.

18. it IS juan...:p...Flea is nowhere on this record :)()

The "distorted" sound you hear during the slapping is probably crunchy overdrive from his amp('s)...You would definitely KNOW if he was using the Boss (aka Around the World)

19. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The microamp is a simple opamp booster. IIRC, it is much better than -3dB from 20Hz to 20kHz at max volume. You really can't go wrong with using it as a simple boost.

20. Yup that sums it up. I have one for clean booty boost into my GK and my guitarist has one for overdriving a Fender tube amp. It doesn't color the sound it just kicks it up significantly. I love mine to death - the only pedal i've never even considered replacing.