1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR... 'Nuff said!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by glassmoon, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Hi all

I've just swapped and traded and bought my way into effect pedal heaven. I now can say that my pedals (through my EBS loop) are just about done. .
    1. MXR octave
    2. MXR fuzz
    3. MXR chorus deluxe
    3. MXR stereo chorus (always on)

The deluxe chorus is off the hook. What an incredible pedal. It really is the best sounding chorus I've ever heard.

So dear MXR, Thank you for making my day!

2. I am also a pretty heavy MXR/Dunlop user:
    1. Bass Octave Deluxe
    2. Carbon Copy
    3. Bass Envelope Filter
    4. Micro Amp
    5. Way Huge Swollen Pickle Mk II (not MXR, but it is a Dunlop effect)

3. I am down to one pedal. MXR Carbon Copy.

Sold the others, but this one stays!

4. How does the Carbon Copy work with bass? I've always been intrigued by delay for bass, but just never really played much with it.

Great post HolmeBass!

Also, just out of curiosity, anyone got experience with reverb products from MXR?

5. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    The MXR stuff is hit or miss for me. I have had a few of their pedals I really loved (ie Phase-90, Micro Amp, M-117 Flanger, big yellow chorus, Auto-Q, and the new Bass Compressor)...I have had a couple that I didn't like at all (ie Bass Octave Deluxe, first gen octave (little blue one), Bass Envelope Filter). And I've had the Carbon Copy and M-80 that were just so so...

Overall, I would say MXR makes good stuff (some really good), but some of it just wasn't for me...

6. Um, thanks glassmoon. I copied the format of your post, so... great minds think alike? :D

The Carbon Copy works just fine on bass, a very simple analog delay. It's tone is not going to win any beauty contests, but for slapback it's great, and for more involved oscillating and heavy repeats it's cool and definitely has that analog sound. The WayHuge Superpuss and the silver one, (maybe the same thing?) definitely sounds better and has more control up front, while being basically the same thing.

fistx I hear you, especially re: BOD. It has been used less and less on my board, I am using it as a low-octave-only synth tone generator. The OC-2 is just so right in the mix, but I use it in a more traditional octaver sense with plenty of dry signal. I may move the BOD to my nano board and get it to mimic the OC-2 as much as possible, see if that works.

I had always decided against the Bass EF but I tried one again at a store in Fla and it sounded great with the bass there, so I bought it, and now with my basses again I am wondering about it, but it works ok. It might work better as a more subtle "watery" type effect than the full-on funk sound, but I am learning to use it too. Band-pass is new territory for me, I've always been used to Low Pass EFs for the maximum funky effect.

The Micro Amp is my favorite MXR effect, a complete winner as far as I can tell. Very little coloration, and so inexpensive. Good stuff!

7. The MicroAmp is on my wish list. I need a pedal that's just a boost for soloing and/or slapping.

The Carbon Copy sounds like I need to add it to that list. I'll have to test it at my local shop and see if I can really make use of it.

I looked (today) at the M-80 which I really enjoyed. Considered it for a slap and/or distortion unit, but the $$s were not with me today. In South Africa we suffer a lot from our shockingly bad currency. ..However!!! I'm going to look out for a 2nd hand unit to be sure. Just for a slap pedal (I always seem to suffer from lack-of-slap-tone) I coupled with the distortion channel. .. great pedal.

8. i've been happy with some of my MXR's & dissapointed in others. them EHX & Boss usually have some solid contenders in any category. glad theyre working for you.

9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Tried a few with varying results ...

On my pedalboard - Bass Octave Deluxe
    Really good but still got replaced - Bass Chorus Deluxe
    Used for a while but replaced - Phase 90
    Tried but instant dislike - Bass Overdrive
    Tried briefly and kind of liked it, but returned - Way Huge Pork Loin

One thing MXR has succeeded doing is setting a standard, the "MXR sized enclosure" many use to describe pedal size. :)

10. @FretNoMore: question. Why did you ditch the Chorus Deluxe? I'm always curious as to why something that I find amazing is disliked by someone else.
    I'd be grateful to you for your comments.

11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I find it a bit dark and too subtle. Sounds great solo but kind of disappears a little in the mix. It also has a low end boost that I think works a bit against the chorus effect that I find sounds better with a lighter tone. All probably depending on which bass and amp you use it with, and your EQ settings. Finally I found a different chorus tone with the Tech 21 Bass Boost Chorus that has a detune mode that doesn't use modulation like most other chorus effects.

All in all just a couple of small personal taste things, the MXR BCD is a great pedal if you like the sound, I just found a different sound I like better.

12. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I use mine to make spaceship noises while I play bass. Mount the pedal always and you can control the pitch of the oscillation by rolling the side of your foot on the delay knob!

13. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've used a lot of MXR pedals over the years but now the only one I have is their bass compressor. Regardless, they have some of the best customer service I've encountered

14. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I've owned a TON of MXR stuff over the past few years. Great stuff, but eventually they all got replaced by better sounding pedals as my knowledge of pedals grew. Probably about the best mass produced consumer level stuff you can get.

I was not a fan of the Fuzz though. They should call it 'Fizz' instead of Fuzz. Get a Tall Font Russian if you want to hear what Fuzz is supposed to sound like.

15. The only MXR I have is the M-80. I used to always have the color button engaged but lately I've found myself liking the cleaner, "flatter" tone of my Jazz. The color switch used to be my secret weapon. It gave my bass such a meatier and darker tone. Worked great for my doom project. Now I rarely have it engaged and simply use the 3-band EQ to conversely boost the mids a bit. Honestly, I'm finding it difficult to justify having it on my board for the most part. I do like the volume boost I get from it, though. Distortion ain't anything to write home about either.

16. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Congrads on finding the right stomp boxes for your live set-up. I've been thinking about purchasing an mxr bass chorus deluxe for my live set-up. I haven't tried out the pedal, but I have seen a bunch of youtube clips of the pedal and I do like what I hear. and the flanger feature is a real plus for me because I sometimes mess around with flanger effects. other than that, I do like how this chorus pedal sound and I am thinking about buying one sometime soon.

17. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Little by little over the years my pedal board seems to have been slowly taken over by MXR (about half of my pedals are MXR now). I always try unique/boutique brands but much of the time I end up settling on MXR because they just seem to, simply put, work. They are all easy to use/find a good sound with and they are tough (they take up less board space than most pedals, too).

18. I've owned the Black Label chorus, Micro Chorus, BEF, and Blue Box. I don't have any MXR stuff right now. Not that I hate any of those pedals or anything. The Black Label replaced the Micro and the Black Label was replaced by a Zoom B3 and the detune mode on the Boss PS-6. The BEF just wasn't for me - too quacky/not what I was looking for. I don't know why I sold the Blue Box it was a lot of fun. It was probably that the volume drop started bugging me. I'd probably buy another one if it was cheap, Blue Boxes have a great synthy sound with the -2 octave soloed.

19. Wow. Some absolutely stunning insights into MXR pedals. For me personally, the BCD is more than likely going to replace the stereo chorus as my always on chorus. Yes, the BCD is subtle. ..but oh so beautiful.

This feedback is wonderful. Thanks all

20. BTW, besides maybe only BOSS pedals (tanks), it seems that MXR has a reputation for not breaking down. That's a massive plus. I've has mates running high end (as in very expensive) effects rigs, and to a man, they've switched back to individual pedals - and invariably they're predominantly MXR units.

Says a lot to me....

BTW (the 2nd one) I too couldn't justify the fairly large price tag of the -80 on my board when I'm already running EBS MicroBass ii. Any comments there?