Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MXR or SansAmp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassXgirl, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Hi everyone

I just bought a SansAmp DI a couple of weeks ago. Last week I was a happy girl when I got to hang out at the NAMM show. I tried out an MXR m80 there and now im confused :(

Im now considering trading in my SansAmp for an MXR but im not sure :meh:

I like that the mxr has a separate switch for kicking on the distortion. I also like that it has a mids knob on the eq. Overall, i think both boxes sound good but ive noticed the SansAmp seems to be more popular. Im wondering why? Im not very familar with either brand or their reputations.

Do you guys have any opinions/experience with either of these di boxes?
    Do you have a favorite and why?

All opinions are appreciated
    :)

2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    First, when you get the inevitable reply "use the search feature" don't think that person is being a jerk. You'll find close to 60 threads about this - including a mega-thread devoted entirely to comparing the 2 units.

That said, realize that just because each has a DI doesn't mean they were designed for the same purpose. The SansAmp is a tube amp emulator.

Lots of people have already posted their experiences and opinions on the 2 boxes. Use the search feature and take the time to check them out. See which best fits your needs as a musician, and last but not least use your ears. ;)

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Same discussion has already been done. Do a search of those two units, and you'll have all the info you can digest . . .

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yeah, Smash and I have owned both units at one time or the other. I own both right now. There is a great megathread in this forum (search for 'mxr and sansamp' and it should be on the second page of results). Once you've read that, if you have any more questions I'll be happy to answer them.

5. oops! I was afraid i might be posting something thats already been discussed.
    I had tried searching SansAmp and MXR before and i only saw two posts come up :meh:

I'll try it again though. I'd love to see what other people are saying about the two.

6. prismacolor2

prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    Boston
    I've heard that the Sansamp Acoustic DI has the exact same circuitry as the BDDI but it does have the mid control. I'd check into this if I was going to buy one (another). Someone here should (and does, i'm sure) know

In regard to the MXR M-80 DI. I've been using this one almost exclusively of late. I find it to add warmth and have better presence than the SansAmp because it doesn't compress the signal like the SABDDI. The MXR also has a distortion channel with gain, vol, boost and a noise gate you can set to your liking. The distortion, for me, is completely useless unless you are into the metal thing. The channel, when engaged adds a mid scoop and I utilize this channel as a distortion free boost. It's really nice for jumping out front for a fill. The Direct sound is very sweet too. Warm, but more clear than the SABDDI.

All this being said, I still use the SansAmp for recording and other applications where a little mushier sound is appropriate (coffeehouse gigs etc.). In fact, I sold it the day I bought my MXR and in an immediate fear of needing it someday, I traded a friend my Miles Davis CD collection for his new sansamp.

Try 'em both. They are VERY effective pres IMO.

7. Thanks Prisma . I went ahead and ordered an MXR through the SamAsh store. Its a cool deal. I can check them both out side by side and keep which ever one i want with no deposit taken for the order. I would be using the DI for small accoustic shows as well as for gigs with a band.

Thanks Smash for all the good info. Im gonna check out that thread right now actually.

Ive got a few days to decide. The MXR i ordered should be in around wed. Should be cool to hear em both and compare.

8. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Thanks for the update SMASH. Volume reveals all... and I've also found distortion to reveal much at lower volumes, including subtle playing dynamics that would be difficult to hear at low volume with a clean signal.

I'm into the metal thing and couldn't get a distortion sound I liked out of that box in nearly 2 years, even with an outboard EQ pedal. The mid-scoop kills all the important frequencies for a good distortion sound - I think that's why it's distortion sounds so strange. Put another distortion inline in front of the MXR's clean channel with the color off, then kick on the 2nd channel at zero gain and you'll see what I mean.

I'd really like to be able to use the MXR's distortion channel for it's noise gate, but I just can't stand the color contour. It's really a shame they didn't put in a color switch for the 2nd channel. Without the color contour I'm sure it's distortion would be much more appealing.

P.S. BassXgirl> include the term "M-80" in your search and it will bring up everything.

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I have the SansAmp Acoustic DI - the semiparametric mid is more useful to me than the footswitch. And yes, the tube sim circuitry is the same in the Acoustic DI and the BDDI.

While the preamp section of the SansAmp is supposed to reproduce the warm tone of a tube amp, I don't find the Sansamp to be mushy or compressed in passive mode. It's exceptionally clear and noiseless as a passive direct box.

10. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    This thread has really helped me also, I too was
    wondering wich one to get. How much did you guys
    pay for your M-80. I don't wanna get ripped off.

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You can get them for new around $115-$120 at zzounds.com

Used, in the $85-$90 range (sometimes higher on ebay).

I have both Sansamp and the MXR. I use the MXR live as a two channel eq box. Playing the NY clubs, there are a lot of house rigs around. Rather than fiddle with them every time, I set my eq via the bass and the mxr unit. I can leave the house amp flat and still have my sound. I kick in the second channel with no distortion to just get the eq color, which is very friendly for slap.

12. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I bought the M-80 Saturday at GC. I took it home and messed around with it all afternoon. I really like it. The Overdrive was
    just the sound I was looking for. We had an Acoustic Gig
    at a Super Bowl Pre-Game House party, The weather was
    all over the place, raining then the sun was coming out, so I
    decided Not the take my Dean Acoustic 5, but to take my
    Modulus and the M-80. When I got there our new Guitar Player
    laughed and said in a smart alec voice, " Hey dude did you
    not know this was an acoustic set, nobody is gonna hear you
    playin that thing" my response in a smart alec tone was. :"That's Ok I had Subway". I then hooked up the M-80
    to the PA, Guitar Player Moron could not believe my Tone,
    And everyone else was impressed also. An Amp that fits
    in my Gig Bag. I love it. :cool: