1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR Overdrive vs MXR Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by glassmoon, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Hi all

I recently posted a message on my fabulous new MXR pedals (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14998742). Well subsequently, I was watching the official MXR videos for both the bought Fuzz and the sought after Overdrive, and now I'm wondering if perhaps I've made a mistake by jot getting the overdrive.

Long story short - what do you, the good and kind folks at TB think of both pedals, and more importantly, what would your choice be?

These are the two that I've narrowed it down to. Your input will be invaluable. Many thanks. .. J

2. Stingray317

Stingray317

Mar 19, 2013
    I've actually owned both pedals and really disliked both of them. I love mxr and have many of their pedals on my board, but those two pedals really sounded terrible to me. The overdrive gave me an ugliness to my tone and the fuzz just sounded like static. I would go with other options...like the zvex mastatron for fuzz.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I also didn't like either of them. The Fuzz is pretty bad, it has a 'fizz' that does not go away no matter what you do. It's just always there. Stingray said it sounded like static...yep.

The Overdrive is just...not good at all.

You can do far better than both of them for similar money.

4. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    The mxr bass overdrive doesn't sound anything like the video they released of it, it's really not worth the money

5. i dunno about the mxr fuzz, but i sold the mxr overdrive and stayed with my old rusty yet trusted ibanez pd7

6. swing

swing

Apr 25, 2000
    London
    I picked up the fuzz... and sold it on almost immediately.
    +1 for the Zvex Mastotron. Or you could even check out the Bass Big Muff Deluxe.

7. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    GHS Strings
    I like both pedals just fine. I got the Overdrive yesterday and did a gig with it, turned up the tone knob, set the drive on low and mixed in the clean and, listening through my in ears, thought it sat in the mix extremely well. Kept it on the entire gig.

8. Wow! Seems that there is an element of deception then in the official video presentations if the actual units don't sound as good as the boxes themselves.

So! Now I'm asking... for the same $$$, what would you guys recommend? I'm into something that gives me a little bite - nothing too broken - something for those rock cover songs I do (LOL).... it's difficult to explain, but the closest is that I want the sound that Juan Alderete gets on the official MXR video - that's! what I want :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuP6h7Yozes

MANY THANKS!!!!!!

9. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I have the fuzz. It's pretty much the only fuzz pedal I've liked.
    The overdrive was meh IMO. Apparently the clean sound is actually the clean sound o the pork loin which I bought, tried with every possible permutation of the trim pots and knobs and it still got lost in the band mix.
    Not a good start for a pedal time IMO.

The thing with the videos are that there is no reference to the gear the sounds are recorded through. They hint at an Aguilar head, but there is no definitive list.

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Really don't like the overdrive; the "clean" signal is not clean and the overdrive character is not nice (though this may be a personal taste thing). I can also not get a "barely on" drive, even with the knob at minimum there's too much, though this could be due to hot levels from my basses and pedalboard.

11. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    I like the MXR 108 fuzz. It's like two fuzzes in one.

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'd suggest looking into Hardwire Pedals. You can get a Tube Overdrive, Valve Distortion, and Metal Distortion all for maybe $120 used if you look around. The Tube and Valve work great both together and individually. The Valve will give you light grit, the Tube more fat grunt, and together they sound huge. The Metal Distortion actually reminds me of a Fuzzrocious Rat Tail or TAFM in that it's can do a real tubey type of fuzz..not fizzy like the MXR but not like a Muff variant either.

13. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    GHS Strings
    I didn't have any trouble achieving a similar tone to Juan with the MXR overdrive and my Bluesman Vintage J(passive, 60's placement).

14. I'm wondering if the active pickups in my TRB 6 are not perhaps a little bit hot for the Fuzz?

The good news is that I have the Overdrive on order. In 2 weeks (South Africa) I'll be able to give constructive criticism on both pedals.

However .. yesterday afternoon, I A/B'ed the Sans Amp Bass DI.... The Ashdown Drive.... 2 MarkBass drive units. Suffice to say that the MXR makes them sound like you're playing through tin foil. Actually the Ashdown was surprisingly good. Low and high pass drives make a nice change.

Reporting as it happens. ..