1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

mxr pedal order suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Unemploid, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Bass FX Combos

this got me thinking. good thing i own a few of these pedals. i'm thinking at getting a compressor.

what are your thoughts?

2. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I use a dbx rackmount unit for compression, but if I were to switch to a pedal it would likely be the MXR because it has the led meter to see when/how hard it's working. My ears are not as golden as many people claim theirs to be.

3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Depends on what you want from a compressor. Good affordable choices for a first (or only) compressor for day to day use are:

• Keeley Bassist
    • MXR M87 Bass Compressor
    • Seymour- Duncan Studio Bass
    • Wampler Ego
    • Ovinfx Smoothie
    • Markbass Compressore

You should be able to find all of these for between $150-$200 new, and far less if used. Many of them show up here on the classifieds in good condition and reasonably priced.

If you're totally new to it, The Keeley Bassist and Ovinfx Smoothie are probably the easiest to use and the hardest to make sound bad based on my own experiences. The Keeley in particular is almost bulletproof in that regard since some setting decisions have already been made for you by design.

Go over to ovinlab.com to see reviews of compressors plus some excellent articles and recommendations on what to consider getting. That's the mothership for compressor info and advice.

Zoobiedood and Sunset Shalom like this.
  4. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

I owned the filter, fuzz, chorus and octave in the past and now have the comp. My favorite combo was octave + fuzz with a touch of filter.

(EDIT: also owned the Blowtorch)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Unemploid likes this.