MXR Pedals and how to connect them

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dekiruhito, Apr 10, 2005.

1. dekiruhito

Apr 10, 2005
    I currently have 4 pedals in my arsenal:
    MXR Limiter
    MXR Ten Band EQ (new old stock)
    SansAmp Bass Driver DI
    DID Envelope Filter.

Plugging into Bassman 25.

1) What does the MXR Limiter do and why can't I hear a difference?
    2) How do I link them together? Should they be chained in any special order?
    3) Is there any difference in the sound quality of the old blue Ten Band and the new one with lighted dials?

Thanks a bunch,
  2. Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    1: A limiter stops signal level from going over a set level (or threshold, as its known) what this will typicaly do is smooth out the level of your bass when playing. You know those one off instances when the red light come on your preamp whilst your playing, set up right it would stop that allowing you to add more gain before clipping.

2: If you have a sansamp bass driver, do you really need the 10band EQ? That seems really excessive to me as there is EQ on the driver and your amp (and if you have an active bass, there too.)

I would put the Sansamp first, the filter second (the 10 band EQ at the 3rd if you want to use it) then the limiter, though there is no "wrong" way to do it. Experiment, you might like the effect of something somewhere else in the chain.

3: No Idea.
  3. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Have a play but I would recomend

This way you can have two types of sound go into the filter ie one with eq and one with out possibly giving drastically differnet effect with the filter, then the limiter to stop some of those mega nasty filter peaks, and then the sansamp so you can DI out the effect to the board if needs be and I always think of the sansamp as an amp simulation of sorts so it should always go after your effects.

But of course have a play around.

Hope this helps
  4. Maybe it's just me, but why would you have something in your "arsenal" if you don't know what it does, and it seems to make no difference?

I remember in high school, this dude had a compressor pedal. We're jamming away, and he steps on this compressor making this "listen to this" face. I couldn't hear the difference-