1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR pedals give unwanted boost to signal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassGuyFL, May 11, 2011.

1. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    I recently added an MXR micro flanger and bass envelope filter to my pedalboard and noticed when engaged they both give a noticeable volume boost to the signal. Just wondering if that's just how they are or is there a way to even the levels. I've been just turning down the volume on my bass to compensate but it's a bit hit and miss and sometimes I forget.

I also have a compressor, tuner, Boss bass synth, Line 6 G50 wireless and a Sansamp BDDI in the signal chain as well. I have tried to change the order of the pedals but didn't notice any difference.

The signal chain is currently this:
    G50>comp>flanger>envelope>synth>tuner>BDDI>XLR to PA 1/4 to amp.

Any suggestions are welcome.

2. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    I don't know about the flanger, but the BEF has volume controls for the wet and dry signal. If you have both of them cranked, I'd expect your output signal to be louder than the input.

How do you have them set?

3. I gigged with my envelope last night on EUB. I'm definitely needing some boost in front of the pedal and to turn down the dry and Fx some more. I've got the sensitivity maxed to get it to trigger and it still takes full noise to get it going, so I couldn't use it unless we were in a loud section. Reason being the tone is much sweeter with the onboard bass preamp volume less than dimed and I'm hopeless at mid tune knob twiddling.

I guess most of that is by the by to the OP but yeah, you can turn down both the FX and dry and you'll be back at unity gain.

4. Other thing is I'd try the compressor after the other effects. At least the envelope filter reacts to dynamic range, don't know about flanger or synth.

5. IME, the Micro Flanger does provide a bit of a volume boost, but it's nothing too severe, at least not in a band scenario. I seem to notice it only when I'm playing alone.

6. chaosmic

chaosmic

Feb 6, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I also have a Micro Flanger and discovered that if I use the passive input on my amp, the boost is less than when I use the 'active' input (my bass is active, FWIW). It's still a noticeable boost, but not as drastic.

That being said, I actually like how the slight boost makes the flange effect more prominent. I'm a bit surprised I haven't seen more bassists using the Micro Flanger. I think it sounds incredible and I detect no low-end loss with my rig.

7. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    Bingo that did the trick didn't even think about it. Flanger is still a bit loud but I can seal with it thanks!

8. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Yeah, I found the same thing with the Micro Flanger I had. It did sound nice, and it wasn't a tremendous boost, but I use Flange effects for some mood and color in mellower parts as well as for big dramatic effects, so the boost was a little much when I wanted a more laid back sound.

As mentioned above, you might try the compressor after the Flanger...might work, might be terrible...

-JV

9. meekee73_2008

meekee73_2008

Feb 20, 2009
    in my experience, is on old (but true) story: had this problem since i bought my mxr 90, 2 years ago. solved with a mod.

cheers

Michele

10. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I used to have a phase 90 that had a little bit of boost to it. I liked it, it wasn't anything that would have messed with my gain structure.