mxr phase 100

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman60, Dec 26, 2001.

1. bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    Anybody know anything about this effect? Is it on Musicians friend, and do you have any sound samples of it? If so please send them to me. I am interested in this effect mostly I guess cause Jason Newstead uses it and I think phase just sounds neat anyways. What do you guys think??
  2. Phase 90
    Phase 90
  3. bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    Is the phase effect worth it if I already have a chorus pedal? I have a boss bass chorus and was wondering what would be something else that would be good to go in my FX loop. I know a lot of bass players use flangers as well. So the Phase 90 or some flanger pedal? What do you guys think?
  4. phaser better than flanger IMO... especially when used on da bass
  5. Yes flangers are a bit useless on the bass, but messing around with the right one with a manual control on it gets really crazy synth sounds. The major problem with most modern flangers is they follow the ADA flanger. Which has a built in compressor on the filter so it gets that out of control jet engine sound. Cool on guitar but if you play a lower frequency into it, it activates the compressor's limiting and poof you have a sound you can't use. The right kind of flanger makes all the difference. The ones I've found to work best on the bass are...

Maxon FL301,
    EHX Electric Mistress,
    MXR Flanger,
    Lovetone Flange with no Name...
  6. bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    so does the MXR phase 90 keep the low end pretty well on bass? or does it sap some of it???
    sorry, I'm just kinda new to effects. thanks!
  7. I checked out loads of phasers and the general consensus was that the Phase 90 is IT. I bought one myself and am very happy. Lowend retention is just fine. You can hear it working when it's off though....and you know what that means. The MXR 100 is supposed to cop the '90 sound but most have said that it won't. The Phase 90 is not a subtle effect...the 100 is.