MXR Phase 90 problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Melvin7822, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    It seems when you make the switch from a passive instrument to an active instrument, all the effects you used to love aren't so wonderful anymore. Thus is the case with my Phase 90. My Stingray 5 just clips it. Which is a shame because I really liked the sound.
  2. That's the rub with pedals. Some like a nice, tame passive signal, and some need a very strong signal to trigger (like my EBS BassIQ filter)...what you might want to try is using a pedal with a level control in front of the phaser, like a Boss EQ...if you don't need any eq changes, you can set it flat, but there is an overall level control you can use to either increase your passive bass signal or decrease your active's signal. You can also use a compressor before all your pedals to even out the strong attack.

You'll also find that if you don't turn up your active bass volume all the way, you'll have a less-strong signal...but if you're like me and just want to put it to 10 always, then there might be a gain adjustment in the control cavity of your bass... I have them in my actives and turn them down so they're just slightly louder than my passives.