Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MXR Phase 90 - true bypass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Brown Shark, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Does anyone know if the three versions of the MXR Phase 90 are true bypass? I am currently using the EVH version (the one with the script button and blue LED) and I believe its true bypass (there doesn't appear to be any loss of tone when the pedal is on or off). I have just purchased a block logo Phase 90 (the orange re-issue, am now waiting for it to arrive) and I don't know if this is true bypass? The original script logo Phase 90 (battery only) apparently isn't true bypass.

If anyone can confirm the true bypass ability of the three versions, that would be great, as it may save me having to purchase a loop for my pedalboard as well.

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Actually, I can't help with your problem, I just have a question for you... What does the 'Script' switch do? Is it the same idea as the 'Colour' switch on the EHX Small Stone phaser?

Thanks,
    Graeme :bassist:

3. It's not true bypass. There's a guy in Edmond, OK that can make it true bypass for you. You just ship it to him and he works on it and sends it back. He has worked on Steve Vai and Peter Frampton's stuff. You can get in touch with him by going to http:www.robertkeeley.com

He makes a compressor and modifies effects for people for a living.

4. I had my old '70s MXR Phase 90 script logo bypassed by Josh. I think it's www.fxdoctor.com Quick, cheap, great guy.

5. Hey Graeme

The script switch on the EVH Phase 90 changes the phasing from a mellow, subtle phaser when in (to emulate the original Script logo MXR Phase 90) to a more full on, Incubus style phaser when out (the same as the re-issue block logo Phase 90). I always use it in block mode, as script mode is too subtle for bass, but works great on a guitar (our guitarist tried it a few weeks back and had a Leslie speaker/rotovibe sound out of the script mode with the dial set at about 10 o'clock). Not sure if it is the same as the Small Stone's colour switch, but I would love to give a Small Stone a try to find out! :bassist:

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Thanks for the reply. By the sound of your description, I would say that the 'Colour' switch on the Small Stone is the same. :)

Graeme

7. WaggClan

WaggClan

May 24, 2006
    I just spoke to Robert on the phone yesterday and he said that he can't make the EVH Phase 90 True Bypass because of the footswitch that is used. It is a different pin type than is required to transfrom the unit to True Bypass. Something about it being a 2 or 4 pin switch when it needs to be a 6 pin wired switch for Keeley to make the True Bypass mod work. :crying:

8. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    sort of... the "script" button is a WAAAYYYYYYYYYY more subtle difference than the "colour" switch. mxr: two different styles of the same thing. eh ss: two different phasers in one.

9. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    back to the original question, i have a block logo newer Phase90 that I assumed was not true bypass. However, it does not seem to suck any tone and one day the power jack fell out of the pedal while it was on the board and the signal died as the Phase90 was turned on.

So just for fun I clicked off the pedal and holy crap my signal came through crystal clear! Am I wrong or is it not the case where if a pedal has no power at all going to it (and no battery) and you put it in line and the signal goes thu, is that not "true bypass????

My Boss pedals sure dont work that way! Bottom line is I was impressed with a pedal that only cost $90 Canadian and sounds so good!

10. Relevant thread resurrection.

Just got the new standard block version, M-101 Rev F PCB. It is true (millennium) bypass on a DPDT switch, looking at the switch the input is connected straight to the output. No tone suck, passes signal in bypass, and no buffer to interfere with fuzz pedals placed after it!

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  11. Goldmember

Goldmember Johan van der Smut

12. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    If you want a True Bypass Phase 90, get the Whirlwind orange box phaser. Better by far than any of the MXR pedals, and much closer to the original, but true bypass.

13. the evh phaser is true bypassed. wolfegang van halen uses it on his bass rig, foyo info. i like pedals intended for bass. maybe you'd like to try out the ebs d-phaser, it's a digital flanger pedal.

14. Script clones sound too subtle for me - all the boutiques are going after the original script tone, but I prefer the block version.