Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mxr phaser, mxr M-104 DISTORTION +, DOD 250

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 33degrees, Aug 1, 2005.

1. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    mxr phaser, mxr M-104 DISTORTION +, DOD 250 what do these pedals sound like on the bass and how do they sit in the pedal board when they are not being used (do they suck tone?)? cheers

2. Craggsy

Craggsy

May 24, 2005
    If your looking for an overdrive thats not going to brake the bank, get the DOD 250! Sounds really good on bass, retains the low end well. Even works well on a low B. Its not true bypass but then again, ive heard no loss in tone.

I do have an MXR Distortion + but its one ive built myself. Its difficult to comment on it as it maybe slightly different to the original. Mines true bypass so theres no loss in tone but ive found low end response isnt as good as the DOD.

Hope this helps

3. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    ok thats great, im giong tomorow to get one! can u use the DOD as a pre amp as well?
    anyone know if the mxr phaser is a real tone drainer?
    cheers

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Distortion + and the DOD 250 are very similar and are based on the same design. The DOD 250 is a great overdrive that is rather inexpensive and adds nice amounds of grit to your tone without losing bottom end.

The MXR Phase 90 and Phase 100's are great, though you may not fancy them. Also, none of the effects mentioned are true bypass, but I've never noticed any noticable loss in tone.

5. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    the dod250 is a pretty cool pedal with a good amount of low end. it does suck a bit of tone though -- enough to bother me. PM me if you want a mod to make to true bypass.

as for a phaser, i really like the electro-harmonix small stone phaser -- it's about $74 new, true bypass and very, very nice.

6. I have used most version's of the MXR Phase 90 and 100 and found the 100 used to do a little weird swirl when not engaged and I playing on the E or B strings past the 12th fret. Took it off the board and replaced it with a Phase 90 and couldnt get it to happen again.

The Phase 90s sound great on bass, IMO. Go for a block logo one (not a script) or the EVH, they have a response which is best suited to bass.

7. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    so you mean just the DOD250 sitting in line between your bass and amp turned off alters your tone?????? or do you mean when it is turned on it alters the tone???

8. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    when it's off it alters the tone slightly, but as i said, enough to bother me. when it's on, the overdrive is such that i don't really notice.

9. Im looking into buying one of these soon and im pretty up tight about my tone so im just wonderin how it changes your tone when its not on? does it suck up the bass or scoop the mids or boost highs or what?

thanks,
    andy

10. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    the bass, and again, only slightly. so slightly you may not notice once in the mix. i've tried other guitar distortion/od pedals that completely removed the low end. this does not. it's a fantastic pedal, add the fact that it's so cheap, and you can't go wrong.

11. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    yea thats what turned me on to it! but i think if you get a banzai true bypass or a looper then you can stick it out of the loop so it doesn't mess with your tone when switched off.