1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR Sub Octave Bass Fuzz vs. Red Witch Zeus Bass Sub Octave Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HiEnd Basses, Mar 14, 2017.

1. HiEnd Basses

HiEnd Basses

Mar 4, 2016
    Considering a Sub Octave Fuzz pedal. They go well together. Got rid of my MXR Bass Octave Deluxe, because I never really used it, and only used the "Growl" anyway. Then see this offering from Red Witch. I've never gone wrong with MXR. Any opinions about the Zeus Sub Octave Fuzz. $100 vs $300; is the Zeus that much better?!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    image. If it were me id go gomorrah.

HiEnd Basses likes this.
  3. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    OK... cast the resurrect spell, as this post fits perfectly into my query/experience.

In the last few days I have received both of these pedals and have played them side by side. I got both because I thought the Zeus was a total train wreck out of the box. Sweetwater said I wasn't alone and sent me the MXR replacement straight away.

I am totally stubborn and really liked the sputtery/dirty tone of the Zeus, so I re-watched all the videos that led me to it in the first place. I learned a few things about it that didn't sink in whilst I was jonesing for the tone. First, this isn't a plug it in and jam pedal. There are some nuances to the dials that are not immediately clear, or at least they weren't to me. Second, there is a set of gain pots inside the unit that need to be tweaked to make the tones balance out. This was my biggest issue at first... the gain was such that playing clean was fine and then turning on the pedal got so loud that it would blow everything else away. While the fuzz was wicked loud, the sub-octave was very quiet. I balanced these out this morning and have a much more usable unit. The other thing I didn't full understand was the gated aspect of the sputter knob. Once I got my head around that, I started to dig it even more.

The MXR Sub-Octave Bass Fuzz is a very nice pedal too and more usable out of the box. There is still a learning curve, but I have not needed to open it up and tweak gain pots just yet. It also doesn't have quite the flexibility of using fuzz, octave, or both, but thats a small drawback. It also has a different kind of fuzz tone, or should I say two of them. All in all a very solid pedal.

Now for the query portion of my long winded monologue. While I like them both, I don't need them both. Having said that, I am not sure I really need either, but I want them. I also want an Alpha Omega from Dark Glass and currently own a Big Muff Pi. All different flavors of fuzz. So, am I crazy for wanting to keep them all? How many of you own more than 2 fuzz pedals? What are your thoughts in general about any of these pedals?