1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MXR Sub Octave Bass Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rob Rogers, May 29, 2018.

1. Rob Rogers

Rob Rogers

Nov 29, 2014
    Naples,FL
    Has or anyone used this new bass pedal?
    I have no other info .
    If any body has used or abused this new pedal info would be appreciated.
    I play in a ZZ TOP band and just trying to tweak my sound as best as possible.
    Any info or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanx

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I have one. Got two distinct fuzzes in it, one more trebly and ear-searing that leans more toward the synthy, one more midrangey and fat sort of like a fuzz-only version of the MXR Bass Distortion. The octave part is the left half of the Bass Octave Deluxe and kicks ass pretty well and has great tracking for an analog octaver. I bought it because I thought it would be perfect for a band I was writing with, but we are apparently done, and even though I like intense fuzz, it's too intense for my regular band. It's all fuzz all the time and doesn't really mellow out much at all. But I think it could work quite well for a lot of that "Eliminator"/"Afterburner" period stuff.

AlexanderB and rufus.K like this.
  3. Rob Rogers

Rob Rogers

Nov 29, 2014
    Naples,FL
    Thank you, that's was what I was looking for info wise. You answered a lot of questions for me.

JimmyM likes this.
  4. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Is that right? Man, they've tweaked it beautifully, the tracking is sensational. I just assumed it was digital by the lack of warbles. In case you didn't gather, i'm really impressed by the octave in it. :thumbsup:

JimmyM likes this.
  5. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I bet you could take down walls if you put it in front of a good envelope filter.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Totally. But you can also make it quite synthy and less destructive. It's a very killer pedal. Extremely purpose driven and not so versatile, but it does as advertised...sub octave bass fuzz.

Stranger Danger likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021