Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MXR Super Comp For Bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I've heard from a few guys that this unit works very well for bass.Anyone here use it?

2. mangle

mangle

Dec 17, 2001
    Guayaquil, ECUADOR
    hey, I am curious too, about both the super comp & dyna comp for bass... hope someone reply soon!

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I ended up getting the Behringer MDX 2600 Composer ProXL for $97 at Guitar Center.?It works very nicely.

4. BassClub

BassClub

Feb 19, 2006
    France
    Hi here.

As many of us, I had some difficulties to find someone who could give me some good advice upon the MXR dyna/super comp.

Finally, I had the chance to try one at my local store, so I can now answer your (my!) question: the MXR Super Comp works well with a bass, indeed.

Otherwise it is not really "transparent", it adds a real nice "punch" to your sound, after spending some time on adjusting the levels: full output, attack at 2 o'clock and sensitivity at 11 o'clock. Then you have to revalue your EQ settings, but after some time, I personnaly found the sound I was seachin' for.
    I use it with a P-bass/Ampeg amp and some pedals including Muffs and PolyChorus: well, I finally reached that great "Last Splash"/Kim Deal tone.

Hope it will help anyone wonderin' if the MXR stuff works well on bass as I used to...

;)

5. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    I used my Super comp today, with the same settings...great results! Surprisingly good on Bass.

6. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    check out bongomania's reviews on compressors.

7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Dude.

Zombie thread.

Look at the OP date! :D

8. And unlike true(movie)zombies, you can't kill a zombie thread by blowing it's head off. ONLY A MOD CAN KILL A ZOMBIE THREAD!!!
    :eek:

Edit: There's even three full years between posts 3 & 4...
    :rolleyes:

Goldmember likes this.
  9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I suppose I have to try out a Supercomp...

10. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    It won't be a "winner", IMO. It was my second compressor, and while I liked it better than the CS-3, I wouldn't consider it bass-friendly beyond the mild settings.

11. StraightSix

StraightSix

Nov 23, 2011
    When boy, when...?

:D

12. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    zombie thread revival.
    Want to hear more.

13. this thrad may have been before the mxr bass compressor. duncan has a cool bass compressor and ebs.

14. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Yeah, the MXR Bass Compressor is a fairly new pedal. Between the Super Comp and the new Bass Compressor, it's a no-contest scenario; the Super Comp just doesn't compare. :thumbsup:

15. shawshank72 likes this.