1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MXR Super-Comp vs. Aphex Punch Factory, why the cost difference?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassGod, Nov 13, 2005.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Yeah, I know compression is discussed a lot here, but I wanted to do a specific head-to-head comparison between these two. Basically, I can get the MXR for $110, and the Punch Factory for $175, so I just want to know if there is a reason for the cost difference. I mean, does the Punch Factory cost more because it also has a DI, or is there a big difference in sound too? I would think the MXR would offer more control over the sound, but I really don't know which to choose. :help: So what are the advantages of the Punch Factory, and do they justify the extra $65? Thanks! :)

Graeme

2. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I would say the d.i. and the fact that it's an optical compressor make the Punch Factory worth more.I paid $89+tax for mine.

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    BUMP

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds about right to me too. Also MXR sells a LOT more pedals than Aphex, so you have more of a "quantity discount"

That, and Aphex sells them at this price, so why drop. All about Supply and Demand. Apparently they ARE good enough to sell for that much.