MXR & TU-2 Setup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by landa, Mar 7, 2006.

1. landa

Jan 4, 2006
    I just ordered an MXR M-80 & a BOSS TU-2 Tuner. I have to options how to connect them.
    1. Plug the bass directly to the MXR, than from the MXR parallel output (ie. an uneffected sound) plug to the TU-2 Tuner.
    2. Plug to TU-2, than to the MXR.

I am worried about any signal loss, but I read many reviews about the Boss TU-2 and its true by-pass.

Any suggestions.

And I was thinking to build a homemade pedalboard. (nothing that fancy). How is the best way to stick the pedals to the board? I was thinking about thick double sided tape, so the pedals will not be damaged. (just some cleaning if the tape is removed)

What you think boys?
  2. lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    well seeing as how the MXR doesn't have true bypass, either way you are going to get some sort of signal loss no matter where you put the tuner..... it's not really something i'd worry about as new products have practically no signal loss anyways....

I'd personally run the tuner off the parallel, just because you can....
  3. landa

Jan 4, 2006
    thanks for the quick reply. I was think the same way.
    what do you think for the pedalboard? or is should just leave them lying around on the floor?
  4. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    I don't believe the TU-2 is true bypass & should be kept out of your signal chain @ all costs. Use the tuner out on the back of the amp.
  5. lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    dude you only got two pedals!!! I wouldnt go building a pedal board if i only had two pedals. The only point in having a pedal board is so that all or most of you pedals are already set up and connected and ready to play since you dont have a whole lot of time in between bands to set up usually.
  6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    if you want to use the TU-2 as a mute run it as:
    Boss TU-2 -> MXR Bass DI+

I find that the TU's bypass is transparent as a ghost. Unless you take from the "bypass" jack (I think). Then if you leave it on some of your highs dissapear.
  7. landa

Jan 4, 2006
    thanks boys, I think I will connect the guitar directly to the MXR & than from the MXR paralel out to the TU-2.
    For the pedal board, I am still not sure. If I find some time I might build a small one, but I do not know how I am going to fix the pedals to the board. Maybe some kind of double sided tape. what u think
  8. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    I've always found Boss pedals don't have any noticeable difference to the tone so I would tend to use it before the MXR. As DarkHarted says you'll have the mute feature then.

Having said that I have a cheaper tuner so like you’re thinking of doing I run the tuner out of the parallel output from the MXR.
  9. Shauny

Feb 17, 2005
    Margate, Kent, Uk
  10. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I currently use 3 pedals. I don't use a pedal board as it is easier to just put them in my briefcase.

I run Boss TU-2 --> Boss CEB-3 Chorus --> BDDI --> to power amp --> to cab. I like to use the TU-2 as a mute as well when I switchbasses.
  11. Piece of wood with some carefully positioned holes and a pack of cable (zip) ties, you can play on the ceiling and the pedals won't fall off, cable ties are the way forward... :smug: :cool:
    I found tape to rubbish on holding pedals to my board, gaffer tape was useless, wouldn't advise on any form of tape for fixing...

As for the Tuner:
    I run bass into MXR then parrallel out to Tuner and then the MXR main output to rest of effects..
    If I didn't have a volume pedal I would use the Tuner as a mute...
  12. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I second the call for Velcro. Cheap, easy to find, sticky rather tight, and is just as permanent as you want to to be. If you want to take something off, no problem, if you want to kick your board around for some reason, it'll stay on.

13. I'd run the TU-2 before the MXR.

Bass -> TU-2 -> MXR -> Amp

I've not noticed any signal loss from my new TU-2.
  14. landa

Jan 4, 2006
  15. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    I run the Boss into the MXR and it sounds great. Gotta have the mute function.
  16. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Seems that the mute function is popular ;)
  17. On Boss single pedals i'd jut go left to right, so it doesn't interfere (sp?) with the pedal action.
    On the M-80 i'd go, left to right and top to bottom of pedal, going in between the knobs and buttons.

The mute function is a really useful feature, saves horrible tuning on stage that just sounds abit poo.