Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by bobbybass85, Dec 19, 2005.

1. I'm a big mxtabs fan but over the last like two weeks or so it's not been coming up, any ideas why?
  2. I noticed this aswell. At first i just figured that it was like theyw ere revamping the site. But now, with all these talks about tab. sites getting sued I think maybee it is down for good now.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think it has to do with whole tab lawsuit going on. MXtabs was one of the biggest and most popular, probably a first target.
  4. I think it was one of the biggest as in most well known.. But have you ever been to it is a collection of all the tab sites put together.
  5. ya they took down powertabs too, most uncool
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I guess all of you guys will have to start learning how to play music instead of copy from tab. :D

7. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Hooray. The fight against musical H.I.V. continues.
  8. I'm so lost! What the hell is a staff? ***!

What do the little dots mean? Some of them are filled in and others aren't!

There is no such thing as a B sharp! What's going on!? I'm so confused!

9. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    what does tab have to do with not playing music.
    Some of us are not as gifted as you appear to be or have hours to figure out bass lines. Music ( sheet ) is not available for every song out there. Yes I can read music but still liked looking at good tab for quick and easy reference. There is a lot of garbage tab out there but I found it could help me because I could hear the mistakes and attempt to correct them.
    It would be wonderful if this loss caused a huge drop in young musicians exploring music. That would mean more work for you and gear prices going thru the roof.

Open your mind man! Let go of your greatness. Not all people are as talented as you!
  10. Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    I agree, and also this new ban is going to be very offputting for people who have just started to learn bass. Even if they get a teacher they might want to learn more songs than can be taught in a half hour session.

11. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Why not use ears to learn songs? I know it's a crazy idea but it might catch on.
  12. Lewi_wilko

Mar 24, 2004
    people who have just started to learn bass might not be able to do that, i couldnt when i first started. Tabs helped me allot.

This will explain it.

I think in the long run they are probably hurting themselves more than anything. Preventing tabs is going to reduce the amount of skilled musicians that are emerging into the music industry. All this is going to mean is less bands will appear meaning less potential profit for them.

Tabs help many new musicians ALOT. I found that tabs helped me learn alot. They gave me things to play. I'd imagine if I had began and there were no tabs around I'd find myself alot more bored. Ok I could go buy a tab book. But say I hear 1 song I like from somewhere. It would be expensive to buy an entire book just for that one song. It also seems that it is only the most popular bands that release tab books. I like to work out what I hear know however as I find that improves my ability to reproduce what I hear on the bass making me overall a better player. But I don't know if it would be anywhere near as easy without tabs on the internet.

MXtabs was the best site imo too. It was great for when I was too lazy to work out or song or needed to learn something quickly.
  14. Anybody know when it will be decided?
  15. Does this mean they will be charging a fee for these sites ??? :spit:
  16. MikeRS

Aug 16, 2005
    Clinton, MA
    I actually find tabs very annoying and hard to follow. Most don't give any note value and use varying symbols for bends, tremelos, pick/nail slides etc. that it is just a waste after a while.

I found the forums out of mxtabs very rude as well. (Several users gave me death threats and mocked the death of my sister, then went on to tear apart the songs I wrote that I never posted, and I'm halfway to a professional writing degree and have had a book published (only in the UK thanks to a cousin, and its rare since I can't afford a lot))
  17. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man

Okay, I really doubt they could be that insenstive, but it is accepted there that if you deserve it, you will be flamed without mercy (look up the apromisingyear saga if you want to see this.) I use those forums too, since they actually do ahve some decent players in there, and yes, there are some plebs there, but don't they appear everywhere? I know it's less of a problem on TB sicne the demographic avts in a more mature, civilised manner, but please allow people to judge musicianforums themselves on it's own merits, rather than taking a shot at it here.

That said, once you've been to TB, you could probably never adapt to Musicianforums given the fact that they way people use them is very different.
  18. Use Powertab editor. After I found that, I stopped using normal tabs. On Powertab editor, there is one line for normal notes, and one for tabs. You can also play a rather c***** midi version of what is written.
  19. Fixed it for ya! :D
  20. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    sorry :bag: I really feel bad about that. I just don't see why some people have such a problem with tab. Please accept my apologies. I totally misunderstood you.