1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My 08' MIA P-bass has some problems.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neonrust, Sep 1, 2008.

1. neonrust

neonrust

Jul 25, 2008
    I am saddened by a couple of issues with my new P-Bass. I have had it for a week and love the feel and sound, but I think she will be going back to fender.

My first problem showed up as I was wiping it down. I found hairline cracking in the finish coming up each of the ferrules on the back and two cracks coming from the bridge on the front. You have to be looking close in the right light to notice them, but who knows what they will look like in 6-months.:(

My second issue is the kicker. I started noticing an odd resonance when I hit an open A or certain frets on the D-string nearing the middle of the board. I believe it is the truss rod.:eek: I found that as I knock on the neck anywhere between the 5th fret and the 12th fret it sounds completely hollow with a rattle from the truss. Closer inspection concluded that the odd resonance from the open A and certain other notes was because of this. You can hear the truss vibrating while hitting those notes.

Have any of you "new 08' MIA" Jazz or P owners experienced this truss phenomenon? I am worried to order another lefty because I found that the four 08' MIA's(two J's/two P's) that I tested the other day had this same neck/truss rod issue.

Thanks for listening.

2. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Haven't heard of this, but hey it happens. I've had my hands on several new MIAs (I have 2 lefties) and the quality in my experience has been consistently amazing. So don't trip, just get it replaced. It will work out to where you will be happy with what you get. Hang in there:bassist:

3. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Your dealer should take care of this for you and replace the bass no questions asked. Sending it to fender will take months. Its the dealers problem, not yours.

Best of luck mate.

4. JonathanD

JonathanD

Dec 13, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
  5. I am VERY glad that you have mentioned---but sorry to hear about it happenning to you.

I am lefty as well and have my eye on the new Fender MIA P-bass. If I REALLY want one, I have to mail-order, so now I am a little concerned.

Thanks for the heads-up. Hope you can get your issue resolved--good luck.

LeftyRickBass

6. neonrust

neonrust

Jul 25, 2008
    Thanks man.

I have a lefty sunburst 08' on order from Fender(45 day wait) and the Black I have is the last one Fender had in stock.:( I will be bringing the P in tomorrow to see what will be worked out. I hope I will not have to wait 45 days for a replacement.

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    It could be that the truss rod is not engaged... A quick experiment would be to take a wrench to the truss rod and see if there is any resistance. If not, turn clock-wise until there is some slight resistance and then try your ear test again...

I've had this with a Jack Casady as well as a Palatino VE-500, (Truss rod in an EUB?!?!?)... The symptoms were exactly as you described.

-robert

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Exactly...tighten the trussrod nut a bit and see if that takes care of it.

9. neonrust

neonrust

Jul 25, 2008

Thanks Robert, I will check that out.:) I hope that will be the fix for the neck issue, as I'll feel better about ordering another one. The finish cracks will still make me send it back though.:(