My 11 string Dream.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Al Caldwell, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo

Tell me what you think! I'm playing at the White House next week. And then I'm going to pick this up at the Namm Show. I'll be the first 11 string bassist at Carnegie Hall. (I'll be missing notes like a champ!) This bass is midi and there is a seperate control for all 4 pick-up systems. The bridge is piezo! I have a lot of practicing to do. I can't wait till next week! I'm being interviewed by Bass Player Magazine tommorrow. I can't wait to tell them about this wonderful bass community on Talk Bass. p.s. I have the power amp and speakers that will make you feel that LOW C#!!!!! HYDRAS!!
  2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    wowza,thats alot off bass. Looks great and im sure it sounds the same. To many strings for me but with you having that nine under your belt this will be easy like pie for you hehe :smug:
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    woah, al. that's awesome!!! and bass player magazine too? man, stuff's really coming together for you.
  4. I like it. What issue will the interview be in?
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    That is just SICK! Al!!!!

The 9 looked and sounded amazing! I'm sure the 11 will only be a short stretch for you :cool:
  6. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Man, that's an incredible machine. Talk about "state of the art". That bass really makes me think about the meaning of that phrase. Congrats Mr. Caldwell.
  7. That's incredible, Al! Congrats brother!

Spread the good word of TB! :D
  8. that is one heck of a bass...makes all those 8 stringers look like wimps!

what are all those strings tuned to?
    not to mention...what do all those knobs and pots control?
  9. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    C#-F#-B-E-A-D-G-C-F-Bb-Eb Let us pray! Al Caldwell
    Cris told me what all the knobs do but I forgot!!!!!
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Congrats. Btw , i dontknow how hold it was, but the Christmas special with Vanessa Williams where people called in and you took requests...watched the whole thing. Sounded sweet.
  11. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    Thank you for the compliment. I'm moving back to New York in a few months.I hope to get a chance to meet all the East Coast Talk Bass members. Al
  12. flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004
    What is with the bridge it looks uneven
  13. Looks like the bass has a hybrid spacing to me.
  14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    HOLY SCHNITES!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  15. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    String spacing is centre to centre. If you have really wide strings (ie low B and lower) and really skinny strings (ie high strings) I think the bridge pieces may l need to be wider at the bass end and closer together at the treble side to accomodate!

BTW - Al very cool looking bass. The Benevente design really does help "shrink" the size of the neck so it doesn't look so wide - not that its a skinny neck by any stretch!

PS. Jaco only needed 4 strings! (j/k) :D
  16. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Whoah... that is one SERIOUS hunk of bass! I'm not worthy! Serious congrats are in order, and I'm looking forward to reading the BP interview. :cool:
  17. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Heh - actually, "center to center" the bridge pieces would all be exactly the same distance apart. ;) What you're describing is "edge to edge".
  18. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You see, thats why I leave all the technical mumbo jumbo up to the smart people......
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Al! That thing is beautiful. Can't wait to see/hear it in action.