1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My 1976 Fender Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LuvMyFender, Jan 27, 2017.

1. LuvMyFender

LuvMyFender

Jan 25, 2017
    If this is not permitted in the forum, then I beg forgiveness and I'll delete this post.

I recently decided to sell my amp and speaker since I haven't played professionally in over 30 years, and it doesn't look like I'll be doing it in the future either. But I still have my bass and practice amp although, I'll sadly admit, I haven't played it in several years. I did recently buy some new strings though...

Part of me wants to sell it, let someone else enjoy it. The other part of me wants to keep it, as it was a big part of my life. I'm not sure, but I suspect it's post-CBS which means that it's not as collectible as a pre-CBS Fender. Any idea of what a fair price would be?

I bought it new. It was originally white. As a teenager, I couldn't deal with that and stripped it off (started by chipping it off - ugh!) and painted it black. That looked like crap, so years later when I learned more about wood finishing, I stripped it back to raw wood and put a few coats of poly on it. Just the body - I never touched the neck. The finish on the neck is worn from use, I pulled off 3 of the higher frets to reduce buzzing, I don't know if I can find the original bridge, tuning keys or covers. I'm sure that the original pick guard is long gone. The pickups are original. I also have a nice case. I added the finger rest and there are spots where the black paint got into screw holes and so the finish has, shall we say, character. LOL

Fender.JPG

Thoughts?

AModestRat, lowdownthump and Herrick like this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The last three frets are pulled? Were they filled in?

3. LuvMyFender

LuvMyFender

Jan 25, 2017
    Not filled, the frets can easily be replaced. Heck, they're probably in the same box that has the original keys and bridge. If I can just find it...:(

Herrick likes this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That can't be very good for the structural integrity of a neck strung to full tension.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  5. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I'll give you a dollar for it.

Missing frets will affect value.
    Seriously, looks nice. Hope you get a good price for it.

RiZzBot likes this.
  6. LuvMyFender

LuvMyFender

Jan 25, 2017
    Aren't all guitars strung at full tension?

Thanks. I'm not ready to sell, just wondering what folks think and what it might be worth. $1 so far... might be worth keeping. :smug:

7. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    It seems like a very personal (and cool) instrument. If you really never play it, then yes, sell it (no idea as to value, however), but if you do play it, even just from time to time, I think it's a keeper.

Kubicki Fan likes this.
  8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'm talking about the missing frets. As it is now there are gaps in the wood. I really don't know but I'm thinking that takes away from the strength of the neck.

9. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    I theory, yes, but the missing frets are over the heel, so that might counteract any weakness.

lz4005 likes this.
  10. funkymonk13

funkymonk13

Aug 22, 2014
    mid to late 70s fenders arent worth a ton. You can check on reverb (the website) for the going rate, but i often see 70s P basses in good condition for ~1500 on craigslist.

You'd probably get a bit more if you get the frets put back in. Value def takes a hit for not having the original finish. but id say its worth around $1000? im no expert, and that 70s vintage market is all over the place though, so keep that in mind.

11. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    @LuvMyFender
    I think I'd get the missing frets replaced professionally and get the standard "dressed and leveled" done to it. If you're just going to stash it, at least it'd be in stock shape.

12. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Have it fretted and keep it!

It will not loose value as long as you play it!(+ Luv it) IMHO

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

13. LuvMyFender

LuvMyFender

Jan 25, 2017
    Ah... I had to look up D&L but now I wonder if the thing would have been better had I had that done 40 years ago. Heck, even if I keep it, that might be worth doing.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm just going to point this out as it is a rule. You have to be a contributing member to do a price check thread.

That being said, maybe a grand if you get the frets installed and the bass set up and ready to play, and maybe $1100-$1200 if you find all original parts. But the latter is the high end for sure.

15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    He is a contributing member.

yodedude2 likes this.
  16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yikes! Somehow my page must have been loading slowly. The banner under his user name wasn't there when I first looked. My apologies.

Lownote38 likes this.
  17. LuvMyFender

LuvMyFender

Jan 25, 2017
    No worries. :)

18. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    (Mine did the same thing.)

(Good luck, OP!)

19. ZonieBass

ZonieBass Send Lawyers, Guns and Money... Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Never sell your guitar or your pen.

20. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    Just buy new Fender 70's tuners and a black or tort pickguard of course. That aside I say it looks killer. I'm a Badass bridge fan so no complaints on that. You have a very nice bass. Oh... and put new frets back in.

H2okie likes this.