1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My 1990 MIJ sonic blue jazz 'n me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gafbass02, Apr 26, 2010.

1. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    I thought you might enjoy these pics of me 'n my fave bass ever; my 1990 MIJ jazz in sonic blue.
    Its had so many different forms and mods over the years and despite the pics (mainly iphone so not great) its actually really battered, worn chipped and dinged and looks great!

Its my third ever bass and the one i had a picture of stuck in my school folder when i started out as my dream bass that i aspired to own one day.
    As it happens a year later i found mine going cheap in a local used guitar place which burnt down shortly after!, at a time when i could just scrape together the cash if i sold my other bass, the guy was very relectant to do me a deal but i managed it and legged it home to clean off the gunk which had lowered the price by £50 to something i could afford!
    Funnily enough not long after i met a guy who had gone in to buy it just after me!

After over 50 other basses and three necks, two preamps, two sets of tuners (poss three) god knows how many other tweaks and hardware changes shes still my number one, despite a lengthy flirtation with warwick! (even then she was always onstage tuned up ready to go!)

Im currently awaiting a few more parts for her latest incarnation, but for now heres a link to a set of pics of me 'n JB as its known from over the last 18 years we've been gigging together!
    I even played her at my wedding!

Ive tried to put em in chronological order with the last ones taken just tonight, soon it'll have white competition stripes and an aged mint guard.

The pics are in this flickr album here.................. http://www.flickr.com/photos/34605698@N04/sets/72157623937813540/

Hope you enjoy taking a peek!

2. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Beautiful bass.
    Thanks for sharing

3. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    very nice axe man...

4. Stick the original neck back on because it ain't right. A 70's neck on a 60's reissue made in the 90's. The bass is probably having an identity crisis. It needs TLC.

I'd be happy to sort it out. Would you like my address?

Davo

5. Awesome bass!! Love the color!!

Don't listen to that Davo guy lol.

6. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    hahhah nice try davo . sadly the original neck is long gone

7. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    stripes came today! a few more pics added
    4560790659_a5fd6af855.

8. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    Oh my god...bro thats looking awsome!! are you playing anytime soon in chelt?

9. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    what did you use to make that stripe?

10. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    Heh heh :) totally am! I'm playing at the frog n fiddle on May 6th supporting kill it kid. ;) The stripes are off eBay, fetalpanic or somethink like that.

11. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    i will try my best to come and see you bro and say hello...im at the Jazz festival this weekend, so maybe ill bump into you

...one of the best basses on BC that Jazz...well apart from my CS..;):D

12. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    Nice one dude:) you have/have had sone seriously tasty basses, I have sei envy ;)

13. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Very cool! Great-looking J and a good story as well. Thanks for sharing.

14. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    Thanks boss. The secret to the tone nowadays is the neck pickup which is a wizard 'gaffer' split coil humbucker, very cool!

15. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    that thing looks great! i've gotta say, i saw this thread a few days ago and thought "oh no, not racing stripes" but they're not permanent and they look AWESOME. nice bass! and a cool story and pictures too.

16. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    Thanks mate, yeah just decals so when the mood takes me I can just peel em off like the old animal sticker, that was on for like ten years!

17. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    I've just put an aged pickguard on it for kicks dunno if it'll stay.
    bb373170.
    32d1a767.
    b5437314.

18. keep it with just the plain white, unless your a girl and like that flashy pearloid!!! :spit::p:bag:

19. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    well, i think that does it. i'm putting together a project bass over the summer and was thinking really hard about sonic blue. seeing that "aged" pickguard on there (just like the pickguard i've already got) makes me think that this is the color combination for me.

20. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    She's a beauty!!! Make it Surf Green, throw on a tortoise pickguard, match the headstock and make her a PJ configuration, and you've got pretty well exactly what I want to do when I get some allparts money...

okay, so what I want to do is TOTALLY different than what you've got. Either way, she looks like a million bucks!