1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

my 1st bass 4 or 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by teufelhunde, Nov 2, 2004.

1. teufelhunde

teufelhunde

Oct 30, 2004
    Another question on buying my first bass , is one easier play than the other, I assume that the 4 strings is (but I no diddle squat) . The reason I ask is that I got motivated into playing by the way Les Claypool (Primus) plays and alot of the stuff he plays is 5 string and just dig his style. So my question is, is it a mistake for a beginner to start on a 5 string. I'm really eager to start but I don't want to make a boneheaded choice due to my lack of experiance.
    Thanks
    also I just like to say thanks to everyone at this forum for being so helpful

2. Most people would probably say 4 but I gotta go with 5. I started on a 5 after playing both, and the 5 just felt better. Besides the fact that I needed a B to hang w/ my guitarists. I like having the B to rest my thumb on. The string spacing is also too wide for me on a 4. I'd say just play em all untill you find the one that feels right.

3. Being a huge Primus fan myself, I've just recently upgraded to a 5 after about 6 months of playing bass.

Sure, slapping is a little bit harder (have to 'learn' how to slap the E string (thickest string on a 4) without touching the B), but other than that it's basically the same.

If you want to play Primus stuff, starting with a 4 is no big deal. To Defy the Laws of Tradition, Groundhog's Day, Too Many Puppies and alot of the other 'classics' are all on a 4 string.

Just FYI, Claypool doesn't have a 5 string, but has fretted, and fretless 6 string basses.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Heck no! If you want to play 5-string, then start on 5-string. Good luck!

5. Considering that Claypool uses a 1 string bass on some songs, I don't think anybody can really say what he owns or uses.

:)