1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My 1st Bass Assembly....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Deezer Butler, Feb 17, 2016.

1. I am making plans to assemble my own P bass and making it to my own specifications. I have a good idea what I want, except I have a few questions.
    Does Warmoth make good quality parts? This is the neck I keep coming back to...
    Warmoth Custom Guitar Products - P BassĀ® Replacement Bass Neck
    Which leads to 2 other questions:
    1) How do I determine fret wire gauge? I do not want them too low or small, yet, I do not want huge jumbo frets that will not allow me to make contact with the fretboard. Somewhere in between.
    2) This neck is drilled to 17.5mm for the tuners. What are some good/high quality tuner keys that you would recommend in that size?

2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The Warmouth necks are very good quality, maybe a bit overpriced, but you can't go wrong with one. I like "medium jumbo" frets, I think thats standard for Fender basses. Stainless frets will last longer than standard nickel-silver, but some people don't like the extra fret noise. The Wilkinson elephant ear tuners are supposed to be drop in replacement on Fender necks, not cut about hole size.

Deezer Butler likes this.
  3. I'll look into Wilkinson... thanks