1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My 1st ever truss rod adjustment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tdub0199, May 12, 2010.

1. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I bought a Schecter C-5 Custom for a great price and when i got it home I noticed the action was very low, buzzing all over the fretboard... it had a pretty bad back bow. I have been wanting to learn to do a setup so i watched a few youtube videos and spoke w/ a guitar tech that I know quite well... went home yesterday to give it a try and my neck is now straight and it plays very well... i was impressed with myself and saved some $$$$ as well....

2. Kudos! It's really not that hard, and you're guaranteed that you have the setup you want, too. Everyone should know how to adjust the truss rod, IMO.

3. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Many people are afraid of their truss rods, not sure why. Perhaps they are afraid of the dark as well. I was afraid of werewolves as a kid. Actually, I kind of still am...

4. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    +1

As long as you are not forcing anything and do not take adjustments to the extreme, you will be fine. It is a great skill to learn.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    If you remember that adjustments should be made in 1/4 turn increments and to NEVER force the nuts, you'll have no problems.

6. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Thanks guys, it really wasn't hard at all and after I finished the Schecter, I got my sons Bronco bass (which had a very bad setup) and now it plays like a dream as well, my son came in and picked it up and said wow dad you really do know what you are doing.... made me feel great!!!

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Hey! That's just good old fashioned common sense man!

Use common sense when adjusting a truss rod too. Don't go crazy with it, and you won't do anything you can't easily undo if need be.