Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My 1st Fretless: Lakland 55-02

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, Jan 12, 2003.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I could learn to luv this fretless stuff!:D My 55-02 fretless arrived Friday before I got home from work. I've only been able to fiddle with it semi-sporadically through my PX3B and my Crate practice amp because we're in the process of totally re-doing our basement. That and the NFL playoffs.

I'll probably do a more complete review after I've spent more time with it, but suffice it to say Lakland Skyline has another convert. This is not an epiphany on the same level of buying my Hanewinckel off Bass Gear having never seen or played one and then being thoroughly blown away by it, but it does rate as my best eBay purchase ever.
    [​IMG]

The build quality is top notch (keep in mind my other basses are Alembics and the Hanewinckel). I think I'm also appreciating the B on my Alembic and Hanewinckel that much more. Everyone here describes how good the Lakland B is (I assume that includes the Skyline). It is pretty darn good, but I must say my Hanewinckel 6 and my Alembic 5 both have a tighter B and they are both 34" scale. They also both cost a smidgeon more than a Skyline.

The controls are very well laid out and clearly explained in the support material.

Again, I'll provide more detail when I've spent more direct time on it.

Peace,

James

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    As you can see, the Lakland doesn't have to hide it's head in shame when hangin' out with my other pretty boys....

[​IMG]

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    That's a very nice fretless Lakland, James. Congrats, and have fun with it !

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Close up on the quilt.....

[​IMG]

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Tracked this bass myself, but my wife does not like tobacco sunburst. How's the neck compared to the 55-94?

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Beautiful.

Peace
    Nick

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Should be pretty much the same IME.

BTW I have a 55-02 on the way with US Bart pickups + preamp and the US style Hipshot tuners... too nice to pass up.

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I may be able to tell you next week. Part of the mystery in buying this one is that I'd never played any Lakland before. Now that Low Down Sound is in my neighborhood, I'll have to stop back through and do an A/B. Huber & Breese has several Lakland basses, but they're @ 20 plus miles outta my way & I've always been pressed for time when I'm in there. I wind up screwing around with Smiths and Foderas. Their Laklands are even farther up the wall, so I never bother anyone to pull them down.

I do like the feel of this neck, though it's different than my other basses. My Alembics have very little taper. My Hanewinckel does have some taper but it's also wide enough to land a small plane on ;) . The Lakland falls somewhere in between. Wider & more tapered than the Alembics, less of both than the Hanewinckel. Seems pretty fast.

Peace,

James

9. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    May be a bit off the topic here, but what are the markings that appear to be writing on the back of the Alembic bass in the 'Harem' picture above?

Curious...

-robert

10. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Opportunity to gloat....

[​IMG]

Peace,

James