1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My 1st Lesson with Anthony Wellington

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Mar 20, 2006.

1. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    I spent 2 hours with Anthony Wellington Sunday for my first lesson. Although the 100 mile drive was long, I finally feel like I have found a resourceful teacher and master of the bass.

My first lesson was all about left hand technique (wow was I way off and what a mental game it is to get it right) and some scale/mode theory.

I came away immediately with something new--left hand movement. Now, sadly, I have yet to practice his lesson material, but I have been real busy since then. I have a dinner guest coming soon too. I wish I had more time in the day to practice, but I am going to start practicing at least every night before I go to bed, even if for only 15 minutes.

I also learned some left hand movement---basically fingering from 1234, to 1324, 1432, etc. 24 patterns of this. And the goal is to do it up and down the neck in any pattern under 300 beats per minute time. Anthony can do 600 bpm. Amazing.

He is awesome. Very professional. Patient. Understanding. And very, very observant. He yelled at me every time I didn't hold the bass in the left hand properly--basically with your four fingers stretched one per fret. It all makes sense too.

What I noticed immediately was how mentally challenging it is to change bad habits. I also learned my timing sucks, despite what past bandmates have said.

I HIGHLY recommend this guy and anyone who needs his contact info, just PM or email me. He has a studio in Waldord MD

Sav'nBass and David A. Davis like this.
  2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    You drove 100 miles just to take lessons? Now that's dedication and he MUST be good if you did that.

Glad it was so awesome for you.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'm happy for you PFD!

:)

4. I'm about to try taking lessons from Dave Larue at Bass Central, and am a bit nevous about the whole thing, whilst being excited at the same time...

My favorite way to play my Rick is with a pick...but after hearing all about Dave, and living a mile away from Bass Central, I figured it's definately worth a shot...

I've only taken three bass lessons before, and got bored pretty quickly, but still picked up some things from those three lessons, and it has helped my playing(I've been fretting notes way too hard and causing myself pain)...I'm sure I can pick up way more from Dave..

I guess I'm 29 as of right this moment also...the clock ticks....haha

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Cool man. Anthony seemed like a crazy cool guy at the clinic I was at.

Just a note about technique though. Some teachers have their own way of playing and fingering the fretboard that works for them. Some teachers will try to impose fingerings that aren't practical or just screw you up. I had a teacher like this, and no other teacher I've had previous or after has tried to change my technique. The way I use my left hand works for me and doesn't strain me at all. Just realize that sometimes you have to do what works for you and not for your teacher.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    FaithNoMan, I took lessons off Dave for three years...best money I ever spent! Dave is a great teacher. Confident, encouraging, and has an answer for everything you can ask. best of luck with your lessons...tell him I said hi!

7. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Hey Dan, i started with Anthony myself on Saturday.

the guy is amazingly observant. my first lesson was only 30 minutes but he was able to point out the roots of my problems and it all started to make sense to me.

he has me doing much of the same excercises. i walked out of there with a huge smile on my face because i knew i had finally found someone who was going to be able to help me.

David A. Davis likes this.
  8. On the left hand thing, I might disagree. Do you play a 5 or 6 string? Already with erogonomically uncomfortable (for now ) left hand, I'm muting my 5 string well.That was an issue. No more. I'll comeback to this will a full endorsement of Ant when I can do it right time wise.

9. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    I stopped seeing Ant months ago because I wasn't able to give time to his lessons. Hand technique wasn't appealing to me, so I guess I never wanted to practice it. Plus, laziness with the instrument...and it becomes more and more of a hobby, not something I AM TRYING to get a lot better at. Pisses me off, too. I wish I had more enthusiasm. Plus, the drive was freaking 1.5 hours long to get there. No good. Maybe if he was local, it would be a ton easier. But by the time I got through all the helacious traffic, I wanted to leave.

who knows. I need a local teacher, and one bad.

Who knows of any teachers in the Winchester, VA region?

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Ant is too cool. We spent some time together a few years ago when he bought a bass from me. He was on tour with Vic and his brothers. They treated me like family.

Rob

11. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Hey Dan! There is a great bass teacher at Shenandoah named Golder O'Neill. I don't know if he does private lessons, though. He has an excellent reputation. I actually saw him several years ago in a jazz combo at my buddy's wedding. He can play, a real pro.

Hugh

12. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    :) THANKS, I shall try and locate him.

13. OK, so I go to a car show down in MD every June, and decided to make Ant part of the trip... PRICELESS

I "met" Anthony as an instructor on musicdojo.com and it was clear that not only was Anthony a gifted instructor, he has a deep passion and concern for his students. Since I was going to be in MD anyway, I thought I'd spend some face time with Anthony at Bassology. NOW, every chance my travels take me anywhere NEAR Waldorf MD, I will make a point of scheduling some time at Bassology. Why?

Which is the question my wife asked when I told her of my monir detour to catch up with Ant. " I hope to gain a permanent improvement in my playing and my funksmanship" is what I replied. Well, ladies and gentlemen, that happened in the first five mintues as Anthony watched me play and make some observations about my right and left hand technique. After having a 5 string for over a year, in the two weeks since Ant's class, I've gained more mastery and control over that fretboard than the prior twelve months! And where a 6 string would have been unthinkable, now I can see a possibility.

Even though I first saw Anthony as a PLAYER, Vic Wooten's bass tech on stage with the Soul Circus, that was not what caused me to rearrange travel plans to see him. I dont get "star struck" ever, but of course, it was demonstrative proof of Anthony's rank as a player. Key, however, was my perception during my two virtual courses with Anthony, that Ant has branded himself as a bass professor. A top player sure, but Anthony seems to live and breathe as a professor devoted to the betterment of all players. Branded as a professor, like Oprah is branded. Folks who have it in their blood, fully in their consciousness, who become full masters at their chosen endeavor since they LIVE it.

Sure you can get basic instruction at a local music store. Unfortuntely it is rare that you will encounter someone with the ability as a player that Ant has, combined with his passion and excellence in teaching.

During the next three hours of instruction, I gained insight both into the biomechanics of my playing, philosphies of music and pf the learning of music, and some very different ways of looking at theory, which made it much easier for my mind to grasp.

14. BR Audio

BR Audio Guest

Apr 13, 2006
    Hey FaithNoMan

I'm about 3 miles from BassCentral as well.. How are the lessons coming along. I was thinking about doing some lessons with those guys also. I just wanted to get some feedback.

peace
    Gil

15. lowdownnotes

lowdownnotes Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2014
    NY
    I just had my first lesson with Anthony and everything you all said years ago is still true. He's a technical wizard, but also a gifted teacher. And now with the Apps that he's using, he can teach even easier on line. Amazing guy.

16. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    I hope you are using the phrase "yelled at me" just to get a reaction out of people and that the teacher didn't actually yell at you.

Unless you are my wife, I am walking away the first time I'm being yelled at because they are not worth the legal problems.

17. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Well, since this one got resuscitated, I was wondering if anyone out there might have some sort of copy/backup of those old Ant's lessons on Musicdojo?
    I have had several lessons with him and he's totally brilliant! Hence my curiosity about those oldies...

18. Anthony won't actually "yell" at you... But I think he has different approaches with different students. If he considers you a "serious" bass student, he will not be a "everyone gets a trophy" kind of guy... Then you get the boot camp version of Ant Wellington. That's the Ant you want...

If he gets that you are just kinda trying it out, I think he tends to be a bit less "demanding".

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  19. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Chalk it up to a bad choice of words used by the OP then. I've worked with people who actually yelled (as in raise their voice so everybody in the building could hear) when a mistake was made.