1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My 1st set of flats, ever.... aka Why didn't I do this sooner?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Clark W, May 12, 2019.

1. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Got my first set of flats, ever, today, but first a little background on what I have been using.

I started learning to play bass around age 11, way back in 1977. All I have ever used on a regular basis has been Ernie Ball Slinky (nickel wound) sets with a set of GHS Boomers thrown in there a time or two.

In 2001 I got married and well, bass playing, along with my Carvin LB70, went out the window, soon to be followed by the marriage in short order. Over a decade later in early 2016 I traded a Peavey 1820 cab for a Cort Curbow Signature Series bass. I immediately put a set of Ernie Ball strings on it and started playing again, for the first time since late 2002, early 2003.

Fast forward to August 2018. I started gigging with the Cort and decided I had to have something better and bought a brand new Ibanez SR400EQM strung with D'Addario XL nickel wounds.

Then two weeks ago I bought an old Epiphone P Bass ($65) with crap pups and electronics. Replaced all that with EMG GZRs. And put on a set of DR Black Beauties. They sound a little "tinny" to me, but with a little wear that will probably work itself out.

Then a week ago I bought a 2012 Ibanez SRX2EX2, again like other Ibbys, it had nickel wound D'Addario XLs. I have absolutely fell in love with this bass, but the strings are a little worn so I decided to experiment and go with "flats" which brings us to today...

I bought a set of D'Addario XL "Chromes" 50 - 105 gauge flats. Now it's really too early to tell, but... I sat down, took off only the "E", restrung the new "E" flat on there, got it tuned up, and plugged it in just to get a taste of what it would feel and sound like. All I can say is wow!

So time to get off TB and finish stringing her up. As soon as I'm done I'll sit down and run through a few songs and see how they really sound. But I have to say I was impressed for just a few notes and one string. If my first impression is going to be the same for the rest of the strings, then I'm going to be a very happy camper. Hate that I've waited 40 years to try a set of flats. I guess sometimes an old dog can learn new tricks afterall.

Rallypoint_1, MattZilla and lowplaces like this.
  2. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Flats 4 lyfe son!

I love my chromes, but am wanting to try some TIs on the P bass. Just to see what all the fuss is about.

Clark W likes this.
  3. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Just finished stringing her up. Haven't even played a song yet. Just picking around and holy cow, it's a totally different world playing with these. The feel is so different. Damn D'Addario and their $40 string sets. I don't wanna re-string every bass I own right now, at least my bank account doesn't want me too.

Time for a little Aerosmith "Seasons of Wither"

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    MattZilla likes this.
  4. Try them, you'll love them. Unlike most flats I've tried, they can do the thuddy, quick decay thing well, but when you want sustain & the flat tone, they deliver that too.

nonohmic likes this.
  5. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    Congratulations Grasshopper, your quest is at an end.
    B.

Clark W likes this.
  6. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    Ahhhhh... another flatwound convert.

nerkoids and Clark W like this.
  7. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Yes Sir. Enjoyed them so much I played for hours last night which is rare for me at home.

Root 5 likes this.
  8. Congrats on finding what you like though, most people who find flats I have seen say along the lines of the same things.

I have used flats a few times, nothing bad to say about them however I just prefer my nickle wounds more....don't throw stuff at me! :roflmao:

9. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    To each their own, no doubt. Play whatcha like. But I'm amazed that after 40+ years that I had never done this sooner. Actually I'm amazed that after 40+ years after picking up a bass for the first time that I would even consider something different, much less actually like it. But then it's like butter vs sandpaper to my fingers. I definitely like the tone better too. At least on the one bass that I have strung with them. Will find out how my 2nd Ibby sounds with them tomorrow when I get off work. Going to get another set and string her up with 'em too.

klejst likes this.
  10. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    I think ibby's and chrome's are a great match. At least, on the two I've had. Never cared for them much on other basses I've had them on. I use TI's on my p/j, and labella dtf's on my fretless jazz. TI jazz rounds on my Yamaha 5. Those are the only basses I play anymore.

Clark W likes this.
  11. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Good info to file for future reference. Thanks!
    Putting a set on my other Ibby tomorrow.