Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My 2:55 AM Question 'O' the Day...(power amp opinion)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Stewart World 2.1

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. QSC PLX 2402

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. If you had to choose between the 2 following amps (try to make wattage negligent, since 2100 watts vs. 2400 watts is normally "plenty" for most applications one would encounter):

Stewart World 2.1 OR
    QSC PLX 2402

Consider:
    -Price
    -Quality (general)
    -Weight
    -Sound
    -Efficiency
    -Anything else I forgot...

Discuss....

2. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Shut up.

probably whichever one was lighter. theyre both great power amps.

3. 2100 watts isn't enough for a coffeehouse gig. You NEED that extra 300.

I vote QSC, not because I play one, but because some kid named Stewart used to shove my face in the grass during 4th grade recess. I don't want to chance it and give that punk my money.

I'm kidding...you can't go wrong with either.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Many power amps can and will still function on one channel when the other one has a fault, unless the fault involves a common power supply, which it often doesn't. My 2 QSCs have never failed though, so I can't tell you if this is so in their case. I've used plenty of other amps with common supplies and one channel dead for protracted periods, including various Crowns and my Hafler. In some cases you actually get a little more than the per-channel stereo power when operating this way too, unlike a dual supply amp.

Oh, yeah: I'd go with whoever gives you the best warranty. Both will work well.

5. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I'd go with QSC....

Why look, I have a PLX2402 for sale for $550.....

=0)

As others have said, I doubt either would be a bad choice =0)